You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-2-2017 18:25:37  #1

I need your help on Lettera 33

Pickled this up today for $30. For the life of me, I can't figure out the ribbon path. Anybody have one handy that can snap a pic or point me to a manual?

19-2-2017 18:42:49  #2

Re: I need your help on Lettera 33

Ok, I think I figured it out, but it looks like I'm missing a part: did this machine come with a nut that screwed down on top of the ribbon spool to keep it in place?

19-2-2017 19:52:39  #3

Yes, the spool is missing the nut, and also the ribbon needs to thread around the right of the guide roller before going through the auto reverse bracket.

19-2-2017 21:35:53  #4

I wish I still had my Lettera 33.  I'm going back 40 years, but I think the "nut" was knurled or what is called a thumb nut.  Metric of course.

19-2-2017 22:01:22  #5

Thank you, friends. I think they guy I bought it from has them; he removed when he was cleaning.  I've used a little painters tape in the meantime and it works. I love the way it types. I picked up this and two Olympia Travelers from the early 70s (one German keyboard--my son speaks) in this deal, all for a great price. The Olympias are virtually unused. These are the first really small portables I've typed on, and they are really fun.

20-2-2017 00:05:35  #6

I had my Lettera as a teenager in the 60's.  It made composition homework a lot faster.  I always thought they were a bit tinny compared to the standards I was learning on, though I found the action very smooth.  What did I know?  I like them now more than ever and regret trading mine in at a second hand store 22 years later. 

20-2-2017 07:52:59  #7

The link to Richard Polt's Classic Typewriter page user manual's section, is for the general (post 1964) Olivetti Portables user manual (see bottom of the manual - the final page for the info you seek).  And you may wish to also keep Richard's site handy for the myriad of other useful typewriter info he has on that site:

http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/OlivettiPortables_ManualENFRDEITESPOR.pdf

24-2-2017 21:41:34  #8

Well I have some good news.  I was just at Robert DeBarth's website for typewriter repair and platen recovering.  He lists those very spool nuts for the Lettera for sale. They're not the same look as OEM, but they are supposed to work the same as new.

24-2-2017 23:08:04  #9

Thank you-- I just got in the mail the spool nuts from the seller!  I'm loving this machine.

Board footera