Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-2-2017 16:37:49  #41

Re: Why do electronic typewriters get short shrift?

pdxtypewriter wrote:

Anybody ever used a 1960 SC Electra 12? There's one in my neighborhood and I thought I'd take a look.

To be fair, it's not an electronic typewriter, so it doesn't really compare to those being discussed in this thread. On it's own those 6-series Smith-Corona models that use standard ribbon spools are worth grabbing when working and inexpensive. I love using them, but rarely do because I get too easily distracted by the electric motor humming "get to work" over and over again.

"To save time is to lengthen life."

26-2-2017 17:01:18  #42

Uwe wrote:

pdxtypewriter wrote:

Anybody ever used a 1960 SC Electra 12? There's one in my neighborhood and I thought I'd take a look.

To be fair, it's not an electronic typewriter, so it doesn't really compare to those being discussed in this thread. On it's own those 6-series Smith-Corona models that use standard ribbon spools are worth grabbing when working and inexpensive. I love using them, but rarely do because I get too easily distracted by the electric motor humming "get to work" over and over again.

These are electro-mechanical, right? Are they easier to repair, or when they go south are they door stops?

26-2-2017 23:45:43  #43

http://i.imgur.com/taT5cd3.jpg?1

I LOVE using this as well. What a nice diversion from regular machines. Very fun indeed. I'm glad I bought it, and wouldn't have even considered it without your comment above, so thank you, Uwe..

27-2-2017 15:53:59  #44

I had forgotten which model the Electra 12 was, so I should correct my previous comment by mentioning that it's actually a Super-5 model based on the Electric Portable, and not a 6-series model. Regardless, I have an even greater enthusiasm for the Super-5 electric models and wish the one I owned looked as good as yours. 

"To save time is to lengthen life."

Board footera