You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-2-2017 00:44:04  #1

Underwood 21

I found an Underwood 21 portable at a 2nd hand store for $65.  It is clean, recently serviced, and no problems I can see or feel.  The key action seems incredibly smooth.  I like the feel, but the looks are so  60's unadorned.  It's made in Italy, kind of rough in the parts finish and castings; but  there's no slop or tinniness.  I can't quite tell if the covers are plastic or die cast aluminum or magnesium.  It is very quiet.

I'm guessing this model was before the by out of Underwood by Olivetti?

Opinions greatly appreciated.  I didn't buy it,,,yet or should I wait for a lower priced one?

28-2-2017 20:47:39  #2

Re: Underwood 21

I always ask for a discount at second hand stores. Those are nice machine great typers. Ignoring the looks.

01-3-2017 13:50:43  #3

CoronaJoe wrote:

I'm guessing this model was before the by out of Underwood by Olivetti?

I believe the 21 was produced during the early '60s, after Olivetti had begun to re-badge its models as Underwoods. The machine you're looking at is an Olivetti under the skin. And $65 is far more than I would pay for one, but then again, what you'll pay may depend on availability and average typewriter prices in your area.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-3-2017 15:09:48  #4

You are correct Uwe.  I did some research and apparently Underwood was on the ropes when Olivetti bought controlling interest in it around 1958-59.  The big 3, Royal, Remington, Underwood, were all facing hard times with rising labor and import competition.  They were beginning to move operations overseas in the late 50's.  Kinda puts today's manufacturing in perspective.  The typewriter is actually in an "antique mall", and the vendor's booth is rented by a retired typewriter repairman/office equipment dealer.  That may reflect why the asking price is high.  I have made counter offers before at the place that were accepted.  I'll wait and see.

01-3-2017 16:35:31  #5

We have "antique malls" here too and most of them have typewriters that are way overpriced too. Most bargains are found when you get a machine from the original owner. Most mall and antique stores are flipping machines, which means you're paying their profit on having bought the machine from the original owner or from a thrift shop.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-3-2017 22:52:56  #6

Whenever a machine passes thru hands, there's a mark-up. I don't know if there's Craig's List in Canada, but that's been my buy from the owner source that's been most successful. Still, in Portland, we are a typewriter savvy town. Prices are higher here.

Board footera