You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-4-2014 13:20:00  #1

The Death of a Typewriter

This thread is dedicated to the presentation of repurposed typewriters, enjoy!

No two people look at all things in exactly the same way. It certainly doesn't come as a surprise to typewriter enthusiasts that there are those who don't see the usefullness of a typewriter in the 21st century. Chris Dimino is one of those people.

A "design professional" based in New York, this otherwise creative person considers the typewriter to be a useless item. As a result, Mr. Dimino has built several design concepts using a typewriter as the base for his project. Each of the following three items function, and I read somewhere recently that someone plans to reproduce the waffle iron and sell it in limited quantities. 

Smith-Corona Coronamatic 2500
Dimino turned this electric typewriter into a working waffle iron, an item that ironically would probably appeal more to typewriter enthusiasts than the general public. Personally, I think using a late model electric is a missed opportunity; imagine a waffle iron made from a more intriguing design, or one more condusive to being transformed into a waffle iron, like a folding portable. Dimino's waffle iron produces waffles in the shape of the Coronamatic's keyboard, but those with a sharp eye will point out it's a reverse of the original layout. It would be interesting to find out if the body of this machine can actually withstand the high temperatures of the iron it surrounds.

Unknown?
I'm not sure which model typewriter gave its life for this transformation, but its case reminds me of those used for certain Brother electric models. Regardless, I can't imagine that any typewriter case would stand up to being repeatedly bounced off of walls and chair legs, so I'd say this reuse of a typewriter really sucks.

1963 Olivetti Lettera
According to Dimino, TWO Olivetti Lettera portables were used to create this tabletop hockey game. Which Lettera models were used wasn't specified. That the game was called Sudden Death is appropriate; that's exactly what two highly desirable typewriters experienced in make the manufacture of this design possible.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-4-2014 15:38:05  #2

Re: The Death of a Typewriter

The waffle iron - OK, the Coronamatic was a horrible machine so maybe the best use of it :-)  The last item was made from Olivetti Lettera 32s in the main.  Much more of a waste, but at least he didn't attack a Lettera 22 - that would have been sacrilege !  But there are bits of Smith Corona electric portable in there too !  I'm sure that I can see a platen knob and some white keytops.  What can others see ?  Let us know !

05-4-2014 17:43:42  #3

This one is simply called Detektor, a record and cassette playing typewriter. It looks real enough, but it's actually a clever 3D illustration by Ronny Schmidt.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-10-2014 11:10:18  #4

I have to thank fellow Typewriter Talk member Valiant for pointing out this typewriter mash up to me. Unlike the above examples, this one appears to have no practical use. Still, it's interesting to see what some people think of when it comes to the typewriter:

25-10-2014 17:34:14  #5

These are very interesting. I suppose that if someone is going to sacrifice a machine...maybe...just maybe this is a bit better than the straight key-chopping that we are seeing on eBay and other places right now. 

25-10-2014 19:19:04  #6

I personally don't have a problem with the typewriter-record player, for I am also into vintage vinyl. But the Darth Vader Corona I'm torn. I love Star Wars, but I also love typewriters... So this is a very hard choice for me

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

12-11-2015 13:21:20  #7

1938 Underwood 3

I stumbled upon this art piece by Courtney Brown titled Self Organization. I'm not sure what to think of this one, but I like the concept. One thing that immediately sprang to mind was, "wouldn't it have been cool if the octopus' suckers were actually typewriter keys instead?"

15-11-2015 23:33:38  #8

WARNING: The images you are about to see are of a disturbing nature and are intended for mature audiences only.

1930s Royal Model O (R.I.P.)

No better than a keychopper, the person responsible for this abysmal attempt at art has rendered me speechless, so it's best that the creator explains this mess in his own words (the syntax and grammar of which explains a lot).

the "artist" wrote:

This is an unusual one of a kind piece that i made in our shop.  it starts with a antique Royal typewriter that has the keys removed, and a piano key board has been installed, the black ebony keys are from a piano and the white is a board cut to look like piano ivory keys, we took old copper pipes and made the neck of the lamp. the 2 lamp fixtures are off an old adjustable pole lamp. i have put a piece of sheet music into the typewriter to make it look like you can type sheet music with this typewriter,  the space bar works,  and the manual return works, the on off switch is connected to the 2nd from the right ebony key, when you slide it to the left is turns the lamps on .

The aberration is currently be sold on eBay for an asking price of $500.

Any final words from the seller?

the "artist" wrote:

we create unique one of a kind pieces in our antique repurpose shop and this is one of our very cool pieces.

Translation: We destroy all types of valuable antiques to make odious and sacrilegious eyesores that no one but us would ever think is cool.

15-11-2015 23:43:30  #9

Okay, that's just visually offensive. Wrong on so many levels.

16-11-2015 15:56:15  #10

And I've wanted a Royal Touch-Control model for a very long time too...  

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera