You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-3-2017 05:01:42  #1

Olympia Model 8 - opinions sought

Hello Olympia experts.  This one is for sale not too far from me, and I would like to know what you make of it from the pictures in the ad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262822208334?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648#shpCntId

Always wanted a Mod8, and am up for a reasonable amount of restoration, but unsure if this is the one to get - they don't appear often here in Australia.   Anyone spot bits missing?  Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
b

Sincerely,
beak.

22-3-2017 10:30:47  #2

Re: Olympia Model 8 - opinions sought

It seems to be fairly complete, but it looks like the spring for the shift lock is missing. The seller gives some indication that things are fairly gunked up, and clearly it's not in the greatest condition (who knows what shape the feed rollers are in), so there's no way I would pay more than a third of the asking price. However, your market conditions and buying stratagems could be very different than mine: I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to spending money on typewriters - and I'm very patient - so I'm more likely to pass and hope that something better comes along. Of course all of this might be a moot point as the eBay listing shows that it's "no longer in stock". Did you buy it?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2017 17:11:43  #3

No, wasn't me - I too take things slowly when it comes to eBay.

Oh well - patience is all, and another one comes round eventually.

Sincerely,
beak.

22-3-2017 17:26:44  #4

Check with the seller that the ribbon spools are present.  They are set into the sides of the machine and there is no side view in the photos.  I do have new-old-stock spools for these, but it would cost a bit to post them to you from England !

22-3-2017 18:12:27  #5

This one is gone already - but thanks for the tip; shall keep in mind for next time.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera