You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-5-2017 11:19:12  #1

Olympia Traveller Keys

Hello! I'm reaching out to you all in regards to an Olympia Traveller that I recently acquired (no, this isn't my first typewriter). The person from whom I purchased it said that it was in working order--no sticky keys, etc. However, when I tried to type on it, the keys would not strike the page. None of the keys would. In fact, they all stopped at the same place: about midway from their resting position to the page. The keys don't feel "sticky"; instead, they feel like there is some sort of locking mechanism or something that prevents them from extending to the page. Is there any such locking mechanism on this Olympia model? It is not a Deluxe version. I'm not sure what year it is. It doesn't say that it was manufactured in Western Germany, nor does it say that it was made in Yugoslavia, so I'm not sure if it's pre-1971 or post-1971. If there is not some sort of locking mechanism for this unit, what might I do to remedy the situation? Like I said, the keys really feel like they're "locked" as opposed to "sticky," because they rise up from their resting position fine, which is to say that there doesn't seem to be any gunk or grime preventing them from striking the page. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I'd also be willing to post some pics, but I'm not sure how to do that here. 

19-5-2017 18:22:56  #2

Re: Olympia Traveller Keys

Sounds like the typebar lock is activated. Maybe the right margin is set too close in. Or maybe you can trace the margin release button and make sure it is working correctly. I don't own this model so I'm just guessing.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

20-5-2017 12:12:47  #3

I would go with 'Treefaller'.  The Line Lock is activated.  This normally happens when you reach the right margin.  To type the last few characters beyond the margin (to finish the word you are typing for instance), you release the Line Lock by operating the Margin Release key.  You will find this located at the top left of the keyboard, and depending on when your machine was made, it will either have four dots on it, or two vertical lines intersected by a horizontal line with two back to back arrows.  If pressing this key does not help, the chances are that the Line Lock mechanism is jammed 'on'.  Your machine would be a later model made in Yugoslavia.  The first ones had a plate on the back 'Made in Western Germany', then 'Made in Yugoslavia', then after a couple of years, the plate wasn't fitted at all - just two tiny rivet holes left in the back of the machine's casing where the plate would have been.  Maybe Olympia felt that customers would perceive the Yugoslavian machines as being of  inferior quality.  In fact, the Yugoslavs made the machine perfectly well with no quality problems. 

21-5-2017 17:01:32  #4

Thanks treefaller and thetypewriterman! I've used the margin release and played around with the margins and that didn't seem to do anything. If the line lock mechanism is jammed "on," how might I fix that? Where do I locate it?

22-5-2017 22:56:45  #5

hi, would it not do this if the carriage lock was on? please see link for user guide.http://www.typewriters.ch/files/manuals/AEG-Olympia-Traveller_manual.pdf

regardst24psy​

Board footera