You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-5-2017 13:22:21  #21

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

You'd be doing a service to the typosphere by taking it on, and it is on $30.  But it's a project, I'd say!

21-5-2017 15:04:14  #22

Markmotown wrote:

is it worth the $30 the owner is asking?

For $30 dollars, I think the question is less about the money and more about the time and effort.

23-5-2017 08:56:01  #23

You could always remove the typebasket and let it soak in evapo rust

My blog - Just Typewriters

24-5-2017 19:46:29  #24

I was having the same thoughts about a Smith Premier.  Can't tell which one it is as the picture is awful and they are asking $90 for it.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/6116796677.html

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

24-5-2017 20:08:55  #25

Looks like a Smith Premier 3 or 4, based on the fact that there are no keys to the left or right of the spacebar. I think it'd definitely be worth kicking the tires and having a closer look. Maybe point out some of the elements that'll need repair, and negotiate the price down to $50-$70...? 

24-5-2017 22:19:39  #26

I found it interesting that they say it is in 'working condition'.  Wonder how they determined that?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

25-5-2017 10:00:57  #27

That's a SP4,the 3 has a extra wide carriage.
I would buy it, you do not see too many Smith Premier no 4s
Smith premiers are not that complicated so its not unreasonable that it would work.

My blog - Just Typewriters

31-5-2017 13:48:36  #28

My aunt saw this at a market last week. She said it typed, the carriage moved and the platen didn't have any cracks. I'm guessing it's from around 1938. The seller's asking $55. I had my aunt offer $30 (I'm a cheapskate) but he said he knew he could sell it at the asking price. I don't own a Corona, so is this particular model worth the price? No guarantee it's still there or if I'd get it, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

31-5-2017 14:49:34  #29

Maybe a bit high -- this looks like a Silent-Super I think. But these are really nice typewriters -- very smooth action and nice styling. I have a Clipper, which is lower on the totem pole but quite good also. I paid $35 for mine.

31-5-2017 15:15:33  #30

That would be a good deal at $30. but, for me, it would have to be immaculate at $55.
I would offer $60. for the machine you have pictured AND, the 60's era Smith-Corona that is sitting next to it, just out of frame.
The other one there to the left is probably a Galaxei model and if in good shape it would be well worth having.
I really can't say enough good about my S-C Galaxei 12 and the three different S-C Sterling models that I have.

As for the seller being so sure he could sell it at $55., I would point out the mold and mildew in the case that has certainly gotten into the workings of the machine and on the exterior.
His $55. price would have to be for a machine that was pristine and I'm thinking this one will have an issue with a hard platen and possibly bad feed rollers, along with some rust here and there under the hood.

In my eyes, the seller doesn't  help himself with the machines sitting on the ground collecting leaves.

Still, if you like Smith- Corona these would be two good models to have.

Board footera