You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-5-2017 18:13:20  #1

Is the latest Olympia SM 9 of lower quality than the previous models?

I'm looking for a Olympia SM9, and I found one of the last model in real nice shape and with a really good price. I noticed it's the 1977-1979's model, because it has the black carriage knobs. It also has a longe carriage. But I read from this blog http://xoverit.blogspot.com.br/2015/04/olympia-sm-series-part-2-1964-1980s.html that the this final model "is said to be of lower quality than the previous models". Is this true? If it is of lower quality, then for what reasons? Should I try to find one of the previous models?

29-5-2017 15:19:04  #2

Re: Is the latest Olympia SM 9 of lower quality than the previous models?

The general quality of most manufacturers products went down as time went on.  Until the early to mid 1960's, most manufacturers strove to make a better typewriter each year.  From that point on, they strove to make a more profitable one.  The late SM9 is still a nice typewriter to use, but contains a lot more plastic components than its 1960's predecessors.  The 13 inch carriage is a desirable feature, and not normally easy to find.  Unless you are looking for absolute total perfection, consider it.  It is still an Olympia and head and shoulders above many other makes.

29-5-2017 18:47:37  #3

Re: Is the latest Olympia SM 9 of lower quality than the previous models?

I see. Thanks a lot.

I'll see if I can find one of the 60's model then.

Board footera