You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-5-2017 19:09:52  #31

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

Fleetwing wrote:

Maybe a bit high -- this looks like a Silent-Super I think. But these are really nice typewriters -- very smooth action and nice styling. I have a Clipper, which is lower on the totem pole but quite good also. I paid $35 for mine.

It is a pre-war Corona Sterling (or Silent). They are excellent machines. The price really depends on the condition though, and I cannot gauge the condition from that photo. If it was in a condition where it could be brought into decent shape with a regular cleaning, the price the seller is asking for is not unreasonable. I wouldn't go for it on the photo alone, but he probably could get $55 for it if he is patient.

31-5-2017 19:41:07  #32

Rattle Tap wrote:

I would offer $60. for the machine you have pictured AND, the 60's era Smith-Corona that is sitting next to it, just out of frame.

Man, you're good. Here's the one next to it, asking price of $30. I didn't ask about it because I'm more partial to the metal-y typewriters. But if you say they're good I'll definitely consider getting them. Where I'd put them is another matter. 

I might swing by this weekend, see if they're still available and make an offer. Thanks for the advice!

01-6-2017 08:35:42  #33

I take no credit for easily recognizing the obvious shape of the S-C carriage release lever that can be seen in your other photo.
I paid $30. for my G-12 and it is nearly like new so I couldn't believe the deal I got on it.
My machine is a little different than the one you have pictured and I'm not sure where it would be placed as far as if it is newer or older than the one pictured.
My '1' key and the '=+' are exchangeable for other characters, the tab controls are above the keyboard and I have something called a 'power space' button incorporated into the regular space bar.
By the way, if you like heavy metal machines you will not be disappointed with this one.
The only plastic on it is the frame around the keyboard and the end caps on the platen, and the machine in its case weighs in at 20lbs. on the bathroom scale.
If you're going to make an offer on it be sure to take a look at the 'hammer crash' ( as seen in this picture) and the right side platen end cap is hanging open, make sure it's not broken.
Also, the space bar looks a little 'wonky' so I would check that out as well.
When you want to look under the hood, the ribbon cover should slide easily forward over the keyboard (not the flip up type) and remain attached to the machine.
Be sure to take along a sheet of paper to give it the ' The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' test.
If the seller sees you conducting a serious examination of both machines he may assume that you know what you are looking at and give up trying to B.S. you on the value and price.
I definitely would not go over $30. for either of them, IMO....
Hope to see you shortly in the "Recent Purchase" thread!   

01-6-2017 13:00:37  #34

A local auction house has this Remington Vertical Adder, Model #21. I'm thinking about maybe putting a bid in on it, since I've never come across one before. Any thoughts? Additional photos here and here. (Information on the model from Typewriter.be here.)

02-6-2017 18:54:35  #35

http://typewriterdatabase.com/typewriter_editor.php?id=8203
I don't own this one yet, but have indicated that I would like to.  It is an Olympia SG1, I think.  Maybe one of you can identify it further.  

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

02-6-2017 21:22:42  #36

Markmotown wrote:

A local auction house has this Remington Vertical Adder, Model #21. I'm thinking about maybe putting a bid in on it, since I've never come across one before. Any thoughts? Additional photos here and here. (Information on the model from Typewriter.be here.)

BUY IT!
You will not see another one up for sale for a long time.
The last one to come up for sale I believe was the one I bought from Connor Brumfield.

My blog - Just Typewriters

09-6-2017 21:59:25  #37

A couple of machines at a antique store I frequent.
The first I spotted was a 1913 LC Smith No. 5
Not in working condition but I thought it could be used for parts for my '13 No. 5. But the $125 asking price threw me for a loop.
The second was a 1938 Remington Model 5 Streamline.
No case and the front feedrollers are worn out, but it is in very nice shape and it worked well! I was AFRAID to look at the price... again $125! I was tempted to offer around $50, but I held off for the time being. I might be taking another trip back to see if I can get it.

23-6-2017 21:31:38  #38

Is anyone familiar with this typewriter?

23-6-2017 21:36:00  #39

Answered my own question. 
http://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2012/09/on-this-day-in-typewriter-history-fast.html
I guess a more appropriate question for the thread would be what would be a reasonable offer for a Noiseless such as this?

23-6-2017 23:01:25  #40

Wow that is cool? Functional though?

Board footera