You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-6-2017 17:09:33  #1

WTB: Hermes Rocket/Baby or similar sized portable (BOUGHT)

I'm not super stuck on any one color in particular, I like the green ones and the gray ones. I guess there are other colors I might not know about as well I just really like the size and portability, and I would just like to try one out in general.

My only preference is that it's one of the models made in Switzerland, and fully functioning, or at least very close to that. That being said, let me know what you have.
I'm sure any member of this form who takes the time to reply will have a machine that's at least in pretty good condition.

Reply with a picture of what you have or let me know where I might be able to find a picture of it if you have it posted somewhere else .

Thanks!

20-6-2017 00:11:09  #2

Re: WTB: Hermes Rocket/Baby or similar sized portable (BOUGHT)

I want to add that I am also interested in finding a gossen tippa or a groma kolibri.

20-6-2017 00:25:37  #3

Have you considered a Skyriter?

20-6-2017 08:14:42  #4

Soucek-
Not really. Are they similar in size to these others? I'll have to check them out
I'm really partial to glass top keys, which is why I'm actually leaning towards the German models I mention. But for some reason the rocket/baby with that case just seems cool to me...

20-6-2017 12:25:21  #5

The older Skyriters with the metal case shells are similar in size to the Rocket. They are just a few hairs larger. As far as glass keys, on your list, only early Gossen Tippas had glass keys. Kolibris and Tippas (from ~1951 on) had plastic keys.

20-6-2017 13:42:38  #6

Yes I realized about the kolibri and glass keys (lack thereof) afterwards lol
It is still close between those 2.
I will say skilyriters seem more readily available...and much less expensive

You prefer the skyriter to a rocket?
I really like the low profile of these German machines...

20-6-2017 14:49:14  #7

I can't speak for the whole Rocket line, as I have only owned a couple of Rockets from 52' and 54', and my sample size is small and based on a handful of machines; but I personally prefer the action on my early Skyriters to the Rockets I have owned. Both fit easily in my backpack. The early Skyriters came with a metal lid that makes them compact like a Rocket. The later ones came in a soft case. I prefer the metal shelled version.

20-6-2017 15:01:32  #8

I should mention one plus the Rocket does have over the Skyriter: the the Rocket uses standard 2" spools, where the Skyriter's are proprietary, and require Skyriter spools. I normally wind my own ribbon on to the original spools, so it doesn't bother me, but I thought I'd mention it.

20-6-2017 16:36:59  #9

My order of preference with these models is Groma Kolibri, Gossen Tippa, Hermes Rocket and then the Skyriter which is the only one I've never tried.

The Kolibri better endures "heavy" workloads than the Gossen Tippa, and the Hermes... Well, I guess I've had pretty bad luck with all Hermes in general. After 6 of them, they seem to be crystal cannons. Outstanding performance providing they're alright because they're so fragile, at least compared to most other serious competitors.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

20-6-2017 19:23:01  #10

Soucek-
Ya I wouldn't mind the smaller spool either- well good To know thanks for input.
And I'm a little torn on metal shell versus leather. At first I liked the tight closure of the Hermes shell, but after seeing the leather ones...it's a toss up.

Javi-
Regarding workload, that's a good bit of information thanks for throwing that out there. Can you expand I. That a little more though? I mean, in what ways the one is better than the other for heavy usage? Specifically kolibri/gossen
I think at this point I'm leaning away from the rocket/baby haha, unless I happen upon one by chance

At any rate, the feedback is much appreciated guys, seriously!
By any chance are either of you guys looking to unload one of the machines I'm looking for
PM if so

Thanks again!

Board footera