You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-6-2017 15:01:17  #1

Hermes Typebars

Hi - I am new to typewriter maintenance so this may be simple to fix.  I got a Hermes Baby in good condition apart from two of the type bars are raised about 1cm - they type okay when you strike the key but they don't sit right back down - any suggestions as to how to fix them so they go right back down? Thanks, Alan

21-6-2017 23:10:00  #2

Re: Hermes Typebars

Hi Alank

​Just looking at my Hermes Rocket, I'd say there are a couple of possibilities. First, debris in the segment or comb. The segment is the slotted ¼ circle that holds the type bars and the comb holds the key levers. The other possibility is a bent wire link between the bell crank and the type bar. From what I can see, all the links on my unit are straight, if you have a couple that are curved or kinked, this may be your problem. Let us know what you find. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

22-6-2017 01:11:56  #3

Re: Hermes Typebars

Hi - thank  you so much - a couple of the wires are bent at the back! Have gently straightened them and the strike bars have fallen back into place.  The typewriter is rather sluggish (compared to the SM9 I have) but maybe it just needs a good service - thanks again! Alan

Board footera