You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-6-2017 16:59:40  #1

Underwood Portable: how remove bottom

Hey guys I recently purchased in Underwood portable three bank, and it seems like there is something obstructing the raising/lowering mechanism to go from upper case, lower case, and symbols. Uppercase and symbols work well enough, though slightly misaligned, but lowercase lettering is bad. It looks like the slug hits the bottom half of the CAPITALIZED letter and the top half of the lowercase letter...

I've included a type sample so you can see where the slug is hitting the paper at each different position. For lower case I just showed where periods are hitting so you can see how high it is relative to other samples..

I want to take off the bottom plate and have a look but not sure where to begin...

23-6-2017 17:00:21  #2

Re: Underwood Portable: how remove bottom

23-6-2017 17:28:38  #3

I found the bastard! Now I just can't seem to pry it free... it's in between the frame and the gears that raise and lower the carriage… It got in there so It must be able to come out without taking everything apart

23-6-2017 22:06:21  #4

When you say "bottom plate," do you mean the base of the carrying case? If that is what you meant, and you are still wondering how to remove the typewriter from the base of the case, there are two screws that secure it to the bottom. They are accessible through the keyboard. You can see them if you look underneath the back corners of the keyboard--near figure key and the color selector.

23-6-2017 22:29:06  #5

Soucek-
Yes,  I was referring to the base of the carrying case.  I will look into that shortly but I have to say it seemed like it was more securely attached than at just those two points…

But I have been wrong on this forum more than right so I will take you at your word. Worst-case scenario, since I actually got the machine fully functioning, maybe I'll just have to leave the darn down there ...
No! Heresy!  It must go.

23-6-2017 23:45:22  #6

If you are wondering what the base looks like underneath, without the typewriter, it is pictured below. You can see where the back feet fit toward the rear edge. The bolts that secure the typewriter (pictured out) fit through a rubber spacer/foot and screw into the base, near the middle of the case bottom. The front feet of the machine rest just in front of the rubber spacer, where you see a little worn marks.

24-6-2017 08:25:09  #7

You're a good man Soucek. Much appreciated.

Board footera