You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-4-2014 06:24:09  #1

Oliver 5 Ribbon size - what width ?

Hello People,
I have an Oliver 5 that needs a replacement ink ribbon. Most of the ribbons advertised anywhere seem to be half inch. I have tried a half inch ribbon and even though it will fit it is very cramped in the guides and tends to jam up.
Could anyone please tell me what the 'Official' width of the ribbon should be.
Does anyone else on here have an early Oliver? if so what ribbons do you use and more to the point, where do you get them from ?

Thanks for any info.
Alan.

22-4-2014 13:12:35  #2

Re: Oliver 5 Ribbon size - what width ?

Alan, I am in the same situation and have figured that we need a 7/16 inch wide ribbon. Many people I have asked about this did not seem to know about this and claimed that any regular 1/2 inch ribbon will work fine; they do not. One eBay vendor, I think called "oliverservices", sent me "Oliver-specific ribbons" that were 1/2" and he claimed not to know about any 7/16" issue!

One active eBay vendor offers 7/16" ribbons as item number 251358215310. There may be others.

Another comprehensive source is Jay Respler at <jrespler@superlink.net>. He has a large variety of ribbons, understands the issues, and also runs the Yahoo! forum "Typewriters" at <
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TYPEWRITERS/>

HTH
== Michael

23-4-2014 02:55:19  #3

Hello Michael,

I'm glad you have come across the same issue (i was beginmning to think it was just me !!). Thanks for the aditional info and possible suppliers of the proper sized ribbons. I will investigate them.

Cheers,
Alan.

07-8-2014 15:15:16  #4

Earlier Oliver typewriters had a smaller ribbon vibrator, hence the need for 7/16" ribbons for those machines. The later models, from the Oliver 9 up, had a slightly larger vibrator capable of accomodating the now-familiar 1/2" ribbons, so in that sense, it is correct to say that SOME Oliver typewriters used a half-inch standard ribbon.

I solved the problem myself using a very un-orthodox procedure: trimmed a new 1/2" ribbon to the right size for my Oliver 5.

Another, even more radical solution (but also more practical in the long run) would be to replace the original vibrator with a newer version, or try opening the clips a bit so that it can accomodate the 1/2" ribbon. Of course, this should be left as the last resort.

In this entry I describe how I discovered the difference in ribbon widths used by the older Oliver typewriters. Don't worry, it's still a bilingual entry: http://modernidadyobsolescencia.blogspot.mx/2013/11/poniendo-trabajar-la-abuelita.html

So, if you have some free time, you could trim a new ribbon using scissors and then use it on your Oliver. OR, you could buy 7/16" cotton ribbon like the ones used to ornate clothes and then ink it manually with rubberstamp ink. That would make a very decent substitute for the original ribbon.

08-8-2014 12:40:46  #5

I'm pretty sure that if you try to "open the clips a bit" on the vibrator to fit a 1/2" ribbon, the clip will break and then we have one fewer Oliver. Keep looking for 7/16" ribbons. I found one that was labeled for a Burroughs adding machine so you could check things that aren't specifically labeled for typewriters. Or just patronize the people who are selling them.

Keep 'em runnin'

01-3-2016 09:53:50  #6

Hello People,

All I can say is Hurrah !! I've just spotted that http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/index.html is now supplying different sized Typewriter ribbons including the correct size for Oliver 5's.
Tom Lucas is the man to contact there and he seems to respond very quickly and is very helpful as well.
Cheers,
Alan.

01-3-2016 11:51:15  #7

Great news, Alan.

For the record, Tom (thetypewriterman) is a valued member here.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-3-2016 09:13:24  #8

Just wanted to tell folk on here that I ordered 2 x Oliver 5 (7/16") ribbons and 1 x 1" ribbon, hopefully to work in my Remington Standard 7 from Tom and they were delivered very quickly and look great.
Toms communication is excellent and I can fully recommend him as a supplier.

Cheers,
Alan.

30-8-2018 13:56:40  #9

The Oliver 7/16" ribbon can be purchased at the olivertypewritershop.com  for $14.95

7/16 Black Typewriter Ribbon for Oliver No. 2, 3 and early No. 5 typewriters.7/16 wide black typewriter ribbon for Oliver No. 2, 3 and early No. 5 typewriters.  At last!   You're a typewriter collector and you love to type on the old Oliver "Bat-wing" No. 3 typewriter.  You need a special 7/16” wide...

Board footera