You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-6-2017 16:06:27  #1

Canned air alternative

I got tired of buying air in cans for dusting typewriters and such, so I rounded up an "Intex air pump" (Google it) that came with an inflatable mattress.
It seems to do a decent job although the air blast is not quite as strong as canned air, but sawing off the smaller diffuser that comes with it gives a good push to a 1/4 inch column of air. And you can move the nozzle to the suction part of the pump for a vacuum.
Mine runs on four D-cell batteries, but they make models for 12- and 120-volts, starting around $7 -- or free if you already have an air mattress.

24-6-2017 19:12:50  #2

Re: Canned air alternative

Conversely, you can buy a refillable portable air tank that can be highly pressurized using air pumps at gas stations.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-6-2017 03:10:45  #3

I bought a can of air for the TWs once, but never again, since it cost 14 AUD and lasted about two minutes!

I know there is a danger here - the PSI must not be too strong with whatever air supply you choose.  Small parts can literally be blown off their mountings if it is too high.

Sincerely,
beak.

25-6-2017 14:41:19  #4

I use an "stolen" air compressor. Got it from my father's farm, rescuing it from a shed where it saw no use at all. 2 hp and 50 litres is excessive for typewriters, but with a good nozzle you can regulate the flow and blow new life into a dirty machine.

Canned air is ultra expensive here, provided you can find it (which is hard), so it's never been an option.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

25-6-2017 21:51:04  #5

Harbor Freight Tools here in the States sells a small aerosol can that can be refilled from a compressor via schreader valve. It's only limitation is the max pressure is fixed and doesn't supply the pressure that a fresh disposable can of air provides.

25-6-2017 21:58:38  #6

I use a Metro DataVac handheld Electric Duster. It was not super cheap, but it was so worth it.

07-7-2017 21:17:22  #7

Javi wrote:

I use an "stolen" air compressor. Got it from my father's farm, rescuing it from a shed where it saw no use at all. 2 hp and 50 litres is excessive for typewriters, but with a good nozzle you can regulate the flow and blow new life into a dirty machine.

Canned air is ultra expensive here, provided you can find it (which is hard), so it's never been an option.

You should be able to adjust the pressure switch to cut out (turn off) the machine at a lower pressure.  I have a small 2 Hp shop air compressor I find that 35-40 psi is fine for any typewriter or small assembly cleaning work such drying off from a solvent dip.  On top of that a regulator plumbed into the outlet for the hose I use on delicate stuff  I have cranked down to 15-20 psi is fine for not blowing things apart.

Board footera