You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-4-2017 17:30:39  #601

Re: New Member Thread

Welcome, Steven! Glad to have you here!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

28-4-2017 21:47:37  #602

Welcome Steven: I am a newcomer to these forums as well, and am new to Typewriters also. I live in Canada and have recently purchased a mid sixties Olivetti Lettera 22.

I am originally from the UK (an ex British Navy guy) and wish you well.

Cheers

David

10-5-2017 21:25:40  #603

Hello I am George from Tennessee. I am 50 and have become interested in all things mechanical. Industrial electric and electronics is how I make my living but have always loved the mechanical side of technology.
About a year ago I started repairing machanical wind up wrist watches, this will be my retirement activity when I get too old to continue working in the steel mill I currently work.
Within the past two months I have become interested in typewriters and have acquired a couple of Royals. A model KMG from 1949 and a Quiet De Lux which I have not looked up the serial number to date it but I think it is from the 40s also.
Interesting enough is that my dad made his living from repairing typewriters, adding machines, and the first generation of copiers. What I would give to go back and pay attention to what he was doing.
Great to be a part of this forum!!

11-5-2017 13:48:25  #604

Welcome George!

06-6-2017 11:35:04  #605

Hello,
My name is Dan. I currently reside in southern Illinois, where I study creative writing and teach English as a grad assistant. My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months, yeah!

I began journaling in 2006 when I was in the Navy, as a way to record my 'sea stories'. In 2010 I was walking through a flea market when I saw an old typewriter made by Remington. At that time, I had no idea that gun manufacturers made typewriters. I bought it on the spot for twenty bucks. Suddenly, my passions for writing, WWII history, and mechanical objects all coalesced to form an ooey-gooey fetish for, you guessed it, the typewriter. I have twelve portables in my collection right now, half of which don't work very well, (bought in haste during my early, inexperienced years) the other half I've restored, over time, to excellent working condition. I use typewriters everyday as part of my creative process.

I joined because I love typewriters, and I love people who love typewriters. I feel they are one of the most wonderful and inspiring things human beings have ever invented. I love how kinetic they are, the way they interact with the body and activate the senses. When I'm done with school, I would love to develop a creative writing course around the typewriter.

Here's a quick list of the work horses in my stable,
Hermes Baby 1949, Olivetti Valentine S 197?, Hermes 3000 1960, Olympia SM9 196?, Royal Portable O 193?, Underwood Universal Quiet Tab 1955.

08-6-2017 13:59:55  #606

Welcome, Dan!

11-6-2017 14:16:46  #607

Brownfox here. I taught myself to type when I was 14 because my handwriting is so atrocious. My first machine was an Adler Tippa which I absolutely loved and used until it got stolen. I've also had Olivettis, and Olympias, which I didn't hang on to when they were replaced by computers in the 80s, . Seeing an Adler for sale on a site coupled with finding an absolute bargain price Olympia portable at a village fête rewoke my enthusiasm for these wonderful; intricate machines that served us so well. I think it safe to say that I have definitely been bitten by the typewriter bug.

12-6-2017 13:55:17  #608

Great to have you here -- bienvenue!

05-7-2017 05:47:34  #609

Hi.  My name is Jeffrey and I use manuals, mostly mid-size, modern machines.  I favor buying tired (but not parts) machines and tinkering with them.  I used to exclusively buy Olympia SM9s, but repeatedly had issues with ribbon reverse mechanisms.  I now own a 1976 Sears Manual II (Brother JP5), which I purchased for $4.99 and restored. The typewriter is beautiful and looks brand-new.  I need to adjust the basket, since shift/CAPS types subscript; otherwise, the machine works flawlessly, which is especially impressive, given its age of 41 years.  Next, I'd like to buy a clean Olympia SM3.  Happy hammering.
Jeffrey

05-7-2017 08:55:51  #610

Hi,

I think these are too modern for you guys but we have a Panasonic KX-R191 electronic typewriter and a KX-WD55 Daisywheel printer both BNIB. Is there a market/interest for these?

Thanks.

Board footera