You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-7-2017 17:47:03  #1

Erika Modell 8 vibrator issue- video

I had this issue since I bought this machine about a month ago. For some reason it only really types well when the vibrator mechanism is stuck in the 'up' position.  Generally I have to move it to the red ink setting and as soon as I type the first key it will get stuck in the up position. If I try to start typing on the black setting , The problem is the vibrator mechanism won't rise high enough for the ink ribbon to actually end up in front of the type slug. Also when on the black setting, if I don't hit the keys really hard, the carriage won't advance .

not really sure if anyone else has dealt with this but if so I would appreciate the input 
SEE VIDEO

04-7-2017 17:48:11  #2

Re: Erika Modell 8 vibrator issue- video

04-7-2017 19:53:37  #3

I'm not intimately familiar with Ericas, but the type bar linkages all operate the universal bar underneath, that does common functions like advance the ribbon spool, raise the vibrator and trip the escapement to advance the carriage. Having the vibrator hang up, and the keys hard to press, suggests the vibrator itself, or its linkage, are the problem.

On most all other machines I'm familiar with, the vibrator should easily fall back down under its own weight. I'd suggest thoroughly degreasing the tracks that the vibrator rides up and down on with alcohol and naphtha (zippo lighter fluid or smokeless lamp oil). Use cotton buds, be sure to clean out all the old gunk from ink buildup and hardened lubricants. Also check the linkage that  raises the vibrator that it is free to be moved by the universal bar.

There is a chance that sometime in the past the vibrator got bent when someone was trying to change the ribbon.

04-7-2017 21:05:26  #4

Ok
ya I thought it might be bent as well
never considered it might have been from someone changing ribbon...that totally makes sense...
i haven't cleaned this particular one because, aside from this, it works great

but looking underneath, it sort of looked like it was dragging on something...but very hard to see clearly through all linkages and other mechanism

thanks though, info is much appreciated

06-7-2017 09:04:59  #5

So I gig in there with some denatured alcohol but nothing seemed to improve. It feels more
Ike it's getting hung up on something. As if it's path is obstructed, but I host cannot see where...

06-7-2017 09:05:19  #6

*got in there

Board footera