You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-7-2017 13:57:08  #1

What kind of Olympia is this?

I've never seen the wide paper scale thing at the top.  Is this an SG-1?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

03-7-2017 14:08:19  #2

Re: What kind of Olympia is this?

Yes. It is an SG-1.

03-7-2017 15:13:52  #3

I note that it doesn't have the paper injector -- did some versions of the SG1 (early, perhaps?) not have this feature?

03-7-2017 16:23:35  #4

It's a SG-1D. There were four variants of the earlier SG1 models, and two of them did not include a paper injector. In 1956 Olympia narrowed the SG1 down to two variants. The same can be said for the SG3 as well as variants with and without the injector existed.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-7-2017 23:39:50  #5

What did the D stand for? Is it easy to replace the felt inside one of these? The felt or whatever was inside disintegrated when I touched it.

07-7-2017 06:45:36  #6

I notice that this SG1 has a very large paper support - which I have never seen before.  I assume these are not common?

Sincerely,
beak.

07-7-2017 11:37:36  #7

colrehogan wrote:

What did the D stand for?

To my knowledge it doesn't stand for anything. The four variants offered at the time by Olympia were designated with the letters A to D.

colrehogan wrote:

Is it easy to replace the felt inside one of these? The felt or whatever was inside disintegrated when I touched it.

Sounds like you're describing the sound deadening material, which is a closed cell foam that is typically falling apart in these typewriters. I remove all of it immediately when I buy a SG1 because if you clean the inside of the machine and leave it in place it will quickly undo all your work. In some cases I've replaced it with other sound deadening material, but I'm undecided if it's worth the effort since there isn't really an approachable difference in the 'volume' of the typewriter in use.

beak wrote:

I notice that this SG1 has a very large paper support - which I have never seen before.  I assume these are not common?

Although I don't have any documentation to absolutely prove it, I believe it was only available on those produced over the first five or so years of the model's production run. I've never seen one in person and would agree they are definitely less common than the typically smaller and tapered version. Conversely, I'm sure that some would argue that any paper rest found on a SG1 isn't common - and they would have a point. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-7-2017 13:44:28  #8

I got this machine from the guys at the typewriter repair shop.  It was sitting on a bottom shelf where it was out of sight.  When I asked the one guy about it he said it had been there since they had moved to this new location.

It looks like the only foam that was shot was the stuff in the cover over the basket.  They cleaned it out for me and it's up to me to clean the rest of the machine of the usual dirt and gunk.   I had initially thought that all the foam was shot which is why I left it at the shop.  I'm looking forward to giving it a good clean.

07-7-2017 14:05:18  #9

Usually if the foam under the ribbon cover is disintegrating the same foam that is used along the sides of the machine's case is also on its way out.

08-7-2017 11:20:23  #10

They did check the rest of the foam and it seemed to be ok.  So, it's in need of some cleaning, but otherwise should be a good machine.

Board footera