You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-7-2017 09:48:31  #1

Disassembled Remington Noiseless ten with celluloide keys

I spotted these on Ebay, and noting the tab bar, I knew they were for a Noiseless ten... yet I had never seen one with celluloid keys.

I asked the seller if they had the typewriter... they do... but it is in pieces.... Would it be worth buying the parts and... trying... to putting it back together?

Thanks in advance. OliverNo.9

09-7-2017 09:50:06  #2

Re: Disassembled Remington Noiseless ten with celluloide keys

09-7-2017 11:00:32  #3

OliverNo.9 wrote:

... noting the tab bar, I knew they were for a Noiseless ten... yet I had never seen one with celluloid keys.

​Similar keys (same?) as used on the Model 6, which I'm pretty sure were used on pre-'37 models of the Model 10.

You've probably never seen one with these keys either then... 

OliverNo.9 wrote:

Would it be worth buying the parts and... trying... to putting it back together?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-7-2017 11:09:04  #4

Uwe wrote:

OliverNo.9 wrote:

... noting the tab bar, I knew they were for a Noiseless ten... yet I had never seen one with celluloid keys.

​Similar keys (same?) as used on the Model 6, which I'm pretty sure were used on pre-'37 models of the Model 10.

You've probably never seen one with these keys either then... 

OliverNo.9 wrote:

Would it be worth buying the parts and... trying... to putting it back together?

Uwe,
I know how ambitious it sounds... not to mention that there could be some parts missing... but it is kind of tempting... for me atleast.... But would it be worth the effort? I guess that is the question put to any project.

09-7-2017 11:24:27  #5

Personally, I wouldn't even consider it.

There will be missing parts, and obviously - based on the photos - destroyed parts too. The amount of work required to put it back together (even if it was successfully done, more than likely it will not perform close to how it did originally), is grossly disproportionate to the $50 it would cost you to just buy an intact one that would probably type great after a little routine maintenance. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-7-2017 11:50:29  #6

Uwe wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't even consider it.

There will be missing parts, and obviously - based on the photos - destroyed parts too. The amount of work required to put it back together (even if it was successfully done, more than likely it will not perform close to how it did originally), is grossly disproportionate to the $50 it would cost you to just buy an intact one that would probably type great after a little routine maintenance. 

Uwe,
I really appreciate your input. This is why I asked; I never considered the possibility of broken parts... I was only thinking of getting it back together.
I really appreciate it.

09-7-2017 12:09:40  #7

Just the keys alone would be a ton of work. A part of each key lever was cut off, so they would all have to be welded back together. And I can only imagine the contempt behind the disassembly of the machine. Someone wanting to restore a typewriter would carefully disassemble the machine, but keychoppers (I'm assuming that's what the seller is) and parts scavengers cut and hack off parts in the quickest and easiest way possible. 

Board footera