You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-7-2017 21:41:47  #1

Difference between an Underwood Champion and Universal

Hi,

So, I've done some digging, but I haven't found any real information to help me differenciate the c. 1940's era  Underwood Universal from the Champion. If anyone could elucidate me to the differences, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

--Tric

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

08-7-2017 23:07:04  #2

Re: Difference between an Underwood Champion and Universal

The Champion was the higher end model and had features such as a tabulator and a paper guide, which the Universal did not. There may be other differences, but those are two that I remember.

09-7-2017 07:00:15  #3

SoucekFan wrote:

The Champion was the higher end model and had features such as a tabulator and a paper guide, which the Universal did not. There may be other differences, but those are two that I remember.

Well, I guess my attention to detail has just gone out the window. Thanks!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

09-7-2017 11:47:09  #4

You have to be very specific with years in such comparisons because there were a number of feature changes made to those models during that ten-year span. In fact, I would describe post-war Underwood portables as being manic in their variations and changes.

To add to a few other quick differences to those that SoucekFan​ ​mentioned, the Champion was also marketed as having a "quiet operation", I think it might have had more nickel-plated parts, and paper fingers along with the paper bail. Basically put, excluding the Remington-made Noiseless, the order of those models from budget to best would be: Leader > Universal > Champion.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-7-2017 12:35:37  #5

Uwe wrote:

You have to be very specific with years in such comparisons because there were a number of feature changes made to those models during that ten-year span. In fact, I would describe post-war Underwood portables as being manic in their variations and changes.

To add to a few other quick differences to those that SoucekFan​ ​mentioned, the Champion was also marketed as having a "quiet operation", I think it might have had more nickel-plated parts, and paper fingers along with the paper bail. Basically put, excluding the Remington-made Noiseless, the order of those models from budget to best would be: Leader > Universal > Champion.

Hmm. They all look so similar in pictures. I guess it might be easier to see the small differences by comparing two in person. I didn't realize they made so many changes. My Universal is a 1946 model, I believe. I knew that the hierarchy started at the leader (irony?) and moved to the Champion. At least you can tell a leader by a quick glance. Not a big fan of the two tone those guys have, and I prefer the chrome strips on the Universal and the Champion.

Board footera