You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-7-2017 23:13:45  #1

Absolute quietest typewriter…

I'm looking for the QUIETEST typewriter you have ever used. Whether it's a portable or a standard sized desktop machine, whatever the mechanism whether it's thrust action or the regular arc type, I just want to know what your guys' experiences are with which machines.

13-7-2017 08:39:46  #2

Re: Absolute quietest typewriter…

In my limited experience, the quietest typewriter I've used (and own) is the Olympia Traveller de Luxe S. The type bars produce a soft thud, rather than a clacking sound. There is no padding glued to the inside of the body, but the frame and the components are rock solid, so there is no internal vibration while using. Also, it is heavier than other ultra portables that I've tried. When I got it, I was looking for the smallest machine I could find with all the bells and whistles I wanted, which it has, but upon testing I expressly remember thinking, "damn, this is one quiet machine."

13-7-2017 10:30:38  #3

One of the quietest I have even experienced is my 1936 Corona Standard portable typewriter. To me it seems considerably quieter than my other regular typebar typewriters. Yet, it has no insulation or felt on the inside of the machine.

13-7-2017 10:49:56  #4

Wow two very surprising responses that I will take under advisement
Thanks guys

13-7-2017 10:52:38  #5

I assume you're talking about the quietness of the typing action only? Some machines make the "zzzz" sound when you return the carriage, of course, and some have a more rattly space bar than others. (The Olympias are the only ones that have a silent carriage return, in my experience.)

Quietness of typing can depend a lot on the hardness of the platen. Royal portables seem to have remarkably pliable platens, even 60+ years after manufacture. (I am assuming that the vast majority of portables have their original platen rubber -- they don't get enough use to warrant platen re-covering, and that's an expense their owners would have never been willing to bear.) So I'd have to say that the Quiet De Luxe models I've owned, and similar models like the Arrow, are pretty darn quiet, not just because of the platen but because they seem to work well with a pretty light touch. In fact, I think these machines "crowd" characters partly because you can type with very little effort, and end up going too fast for the mechanism.

I also have a 1968 Olympia SG3, which in addition to having a really nice and consistent touch, types very quietly. I am sure the size and mass of the machine is a significant factor.

I'm interested to try one of the Remington Noiseless machines, to see if indeed they are quieter than the norm.

13-7-2017 11:01:37  #6

Yes I am talking primarily about typing action — my underwood portable three has the loudest carriage return of any machine I've come across LOL

I would agree at this point, I've had 2 royal QDLs and both very quiet. I too have been intrigued by the quietness models, but have yet to try one. I do hope someone chimes in who has had some experience using one...

Of course I agree about the platen as well.
And with all the other great things I've heard about the SG models, that they are also Quiet is yet another reason I will consider picking one up someday

13-7-2017 11:02:25  #7

Also FWIW my Erika model 8 has a silent carriage return as well...

13-7-2017 12:05:20  #8

Oh, you absolutely need an SG -- SG1 or SG3; either is a lovely machine to use.

13-7-2017 12:28:07  #9

The sound quality and noise level of a carriage being returned is influenced by the condition and adjustment of its associated parts. Most carriages should be fairly silent in their operation, the predominant sound coming from the bearings that its gliding on. If you have a carriage that is very loud, most likely it's in need of either cleaning, lubrication, adjustment, or repair.

​I can't agree with the conclusion that Royal platens stand the test of time better than those of any other make. Looking over the hardness tests of a few of my Royal portables ranging from a '48 Quiet De Luxe to a '61 Futura 800, they all have hard platens (between 97-99 Shore A). This is in line with the results of testing platens from other manufacturers. If you have a 60-year-old Royal portable with a soft platen, I'd be willing to bet that it was recovered sometime during its more recent history. Keep in mind that typewriters were an investment in their day, even portable models, and those who used them a lot would have been likely to have them serviced, much like you would your car, and regular or professional users would have had their platens maintained too.

​I'll be honest and admit that I have no idea which of my typewriters is the quietest. I did test a few using a decibel meter, but that was just part of an experiment to determine if the "quiet" portables were actually less noisy than their regular portable counterparts. I type in a number of different locations, which makes it difficult to provide a fair noise comparison between numerous models. And then there are so many factors that influence a person's perception of how 'loud' a machine is such as ambient noise, the surface the machine is on, the condition of its feet, its overall mechanical condition, even the typing technique being employed.

If I had to guess, I would probably nominate my Underwood Noiseless 77 and Remington Noiseless Model 8, along with a few of the thrust-action models too. I would hope that the quietest typewriters are those that were actually marketed as being more quiet than regular models, ones that included words such as "quiet", "silent", or "noiseless" in their model name. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-7-2017 15:24:06  #10

Yes, you would think that the "noiseless" and "quiet" typewriters actually would be, at least to  A greater degree than conventional designs. I actually really like the two you mentioned, the Underwood 77 and the Remington models.  And coincidentally they seem to be available at a far greater discount relative to other typewriters,  at least the ones that I have come across both in person and online.

Board footera