You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-4-2014 08:29:58  #1

Royal Standard 10 with a large flat spot on platen pressure roller....

Hi Folks,

My Royal Standard 10 typewriter is gradually getting better and better with more cleaning and use, however it has a bit of an issue. The paper pressure roller behind the platen has a large (deep) flat spot on it, so it doesn't want to rotate properly (it keeps stopping when it's flat spot connects with the platen !).
I've read may way's of working on rubber rollers, but i need to get to the roller first. Has anyone had experience of removing the carriage on this particular typewriter? if so how do i go about removing the carriage please?
I intend to try boiling the roller first to see if it will re-shape. If not i will try cutting the edges (?) off of the flat area (the roller will become a bit oval in shape, but at least it should rotate ok).
Any thoughts, views or ideas please.

Cheers,
Alan.

29-4-2014 02:29:50  #2

Re: Royal Standard 10 with a large flat spot on platen pressure roller....

I've never heard of this 'boiling rubber' procedure you speak of. How is it done and what is it supposed to do? 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

29-4-2014 03:46:34  #3

Re: Royal Standard 10 with a large flat spot on platen pressure roller....

Hi Shangas,

I have read that if you can boil a rubber roller for a bit (gas mark 5 for 10 minutes - only joking !!) it allows the rubber to soften up a bit and de-stress and hopefully return to it's original shaper (i.e round(er)).
I've not tried this myself, but as i have really got nothing much to lose, it's worth a go. I can still try the cutting off the edges afterwards if there is no improvement.
So there you have it.

Alan.

Board footera