You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-7-2017 16:42:25  #1

Sub-forums for Languages other than English

It seems that there might be a use for a few sub-forums here for those who are not native English speakers. I am considering adding three to start, a French, German, and Spanish sub-forum. The idea is not to duplicate the entire Typewriter Talk (TT) forum in those languages, but instead to give people a single sub-forum to write more directly to those who might be in their immediate region.

Does this sound like a good idea to everyone? I'll leave this thread open for feedback for a few days and will go with the consensus opinion on this idea.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-7-2017 03:07:09  #2

Re: Sub-forums for Languages other than English

I think it´s a good idea, since it can help crossing the language barrier by completely eliminating it.

I speak only for myself, but since there are people from all around the world here I think there´s nothing bad in leaving some space to discuss in our native languages. Personally, I´ve grown more used to English than Spanish when talking about typewriters because English reaches much further and I get access to way more information than in Spanish, but having the possibility to use different languages would be great.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

15-7-2017 14:25:55  #3

I think it is a good idea.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

17-7-2017 12:32:36  #4

I've created three additional sub-forums for the French, German, and Spanish speaking members here. Given that my translations for describing them may be 'off', I'd appreciate if those who are native speakers could let me know if any of the wording should be changed. 

​As for moderating them, I should be able to keep an eye on the German one, possibly the French too (although my French is very limited), but I could use a hand with the Spanish sub-forum. Thanks.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-7-2017 13:10:17  #5

Excellente idée ! I would be pleased to help in french language. Just ask me.
Bonne soirée !
Paul.

17-7-2017 14:43:13  #6

Great idea. I've already created the first post in the German subforum

If you need help with German, you ask.

sirius

17-7-2017 14:43:32  #7

Great idea! It will be an attraction for French, German and Spanish speakers who maybe otherwise would be reluctant to post here due to lack of English language capability. I think I'll look in on the German and French threads, to improve my skills in reading if nothing else. 

17-7-2017 16:22:02  #8

I'm always impressed with how well those who speak English as a second (or third, or fourth) language communicate in forums such as these, and I agree that providing a sub-forum in a language native to them might help to break the ice, so to speak. Those who are more comfortable with English and go back and forth between the regular TT forums might also act as a conduit and share some of the more interesting things being discussed in their language sub-forums.

​We'll see how it goes, and how much use they get. If they get busy I will appreciate if I can get one volunteer for each language to act as a moderator for their respective forum. Of course other languages can be added as well, but to start I only created those for the more regular forum members who I noted speak those languages.

18-7-2017 06:20:25  #9

I´m glad to help with the Spanish sub-forum if needed!

I´d say the name of the sub-forum should be changed... Instead of "El Foro de la Máquina de Escribir Española" it should be something like "El Foro de la Máquina de Escribir en Español" , because that sounds like you´re referring only to Spanish typewriters, not a forum where you can talk in Spanish about typewriters.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

18-7-2017 09:06:04  #10

Yes indeed - why on earth not!  My only concern is that information useful to all may be locked away in a language we do not speak, and I would encourage all users of those sub-forums to help guard against this where possible - though I'm not sure how!
  Given that the forum as a whole is based on English, I would encourage those using other language sub-forums (can't stand 'fora') to keep in touch with everyone, and not bury yourselves forever, out of sight, in a sub-forum.
Let's face it, even English divides us across the Atlantic!  I know full well that my colloquial British English will be a mystery to some Americans, but there is no way I'm going to speak a degraded 'World English' form just for that reason.  It has long been my contention that modern American English and British English are two different languages, and that time should be taken to learn them as such, and respect their differences.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera