You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-6-2017 09:52:51  #41

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

Hopefully. I came to a verbal agreement on it and will go to pick it up tomorrow!

24-6-2017 19:02:12  #42

Markmotown wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this typewriter?

​Yup, have one. Mine needs some work, which I haven't got around to yet.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-6-2017 20:05:48  #43

Fantastic, Uwe! I went ahead and picked it up today--the sellers at the estate sale were kind enough to hold it aside for me, as there were others interested as well. Overall, it is in pretty good shape. The carriage does not advance when you strike the keys, though the drawspring has plenty of zip in it. One of the things that drew me to earlier typewriters is that they're relatively simple machines with simple mechanisms that even I can figure out. Relative to those early standard typewriters, however, this is definitely NOT a simple machine with simple mechanics! 

I'll post some pics once I get to it. The serial number is 22195R. Am I right in reading that this would be a model 2, then?  

09-7-2017 13:53:51  #44

I sent the person who listed this an e-mail inquiry. Apparently he bought a house, the former owner of which was a lifelong typewriter repairman, so he's got a basement full of tools and parts, and wants someone to take it all. Since I've already got a basement full of stuff, I'm a bit hesitant of getting another basement-load of stuff that might be decent, but might be utter junk. 

Has anyone encountered a situation like this? Any advice as I proceed would be most warmly received.

18-7-2017 07:46:34  #45

Hello all,
I am looking for advice on buying a Imperial model 66. Pretty interesting machine. But, I was curious as to the value of this machine?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, OliverNo.9

18-7-2017 08:42:39  #46

That IMP 66(?) looks identical to mine, and it's a good, solid typer meant for continuous office use.  Not a racehorse, more of a reliable Clydesdale.  Of interest is the ease with which you can access all of the parts, including the type-basket, which simply slides out at the front as a whole unit.  There is a required sequence for removing the carriage, and I suggest you familiarize yourself with that before attempting it, otherwise you may lose the drive band, which, if done correctly, is automatically stored ready for reconnection when you re install the carriage - also automatically.
I see these on eBay al the time, selling regularly for 50AUD or less, but seldom when he seller asks much more.  Nothing to say against it, if in working order.

Sincerely,
beak.

18-7-2017 09:07:14  #47

beak wrote:

That IMP 66(?) looks identical to mine, and it's a good, solid typer meant for continuous office use.  Not a racehorse, more of a reliable Clydesdale.  Of interest is the ease with which you can access all of the parts, including the type-basket, which simply slides out at the front as a whole unit.  There is a required sequence for removing the carriage, and I suggest you familiarize yourself with that before attempting it, otherwise you may lose the drive band, which, if done correctly, is automatically stored ready for reconnection when you re install the carriage - also automatically.
I see these on eBay al the time, selling regularly for 50AUD or less, but seldom when he seller asks much more.  Nothing to say against it, if in working order.

beak, thank you for the information. I may have to pass on it then... or see if the seller can do any better.... The seller on Ebay sent me an offer of $65 plus shipping so it is quite overpriced, especially when you consider that the carriage is moving, but not on its own....
Thank you again. I really appreciate it!
OliverNo.9.

18-7-2017 12:32:05  #48

I have an Imperial 50, 55, and 65 and think they're very nice standards to use. The 65 is one of my favourites and I'm always on the lookout for others, but they aren't that common in my area. I would be very reluctant to have one shipped to me - but that holds true for any eBay typewriter given how many I've received that were damaged during shipment. A standard is even more likely to be damaged given its weight and that it doesn't have a case designed to protect it. $65 seems reasonable to me, if it was a local seller, but shipping on top of that would put it out of my own price range for those machines.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-7-2017 09:03:32  #49

OliverNo.9 wrote:

If the carriage is free, but not responsive to the keys, I would strongly suspect that the drive belt has detached itself or broken.  This has happened to both similar Imperials that I owned.  With luck, a little mending or replacement of the belt is all that is wrong.

Sincerely,
beak.

19-7-2017 10:18:05  #50

beak wrote:

OliverNo.9 wrote:

If the carriage is free, but not responsive to the keys, I would strongly suspect that the drive belt has detached itself or broken.  This has happened to both similar Imperials that I owned.  With luck, a little mending or replacement of the belt is all that is wrong.

I love it when that it is the only thing wrong with a machine...such a good feeling

Board footera