You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-7-2017 20:16:44  #1

SG1...Hermes Ambassador

Compare!
Pretty sure this amounts to sacrilege on this forum, but I am curious as it seems both behemoths have similar features. I'm just wondering if anyone can compare and contrast the 2.
I feel comfortable with my sample size for portable typewriters and now I want to give the standards a shot.

Thanks!

23-7-2017 00:41:59  #2

Re: SG1...Hermes Ambassador

I have both, and strongly admire and recommend both.  There would be little to choose by way of quality, but there is a difference in feel of the actions.  Neither would be considered 'better' than the other, but you may prefer one to the other.  The SG1 has a smooth and classic action, the Ambassador a solid and dependable action - those who have tried a Hermes 300 would know the distinctive feel.
Both SG1s and Ambassadors come in a range of slightly different models according to date, so I would not feel qualified to give more than this generalization.  In brief, given that the machine is in good order, you could not go wrong with either, IMO.

Sincerely,
beak.

23-7-2017 00:45:09  #3

I might add that some models of the Ambassador will, in _addition_ to the normal ribbon, accept a carbon ribbon on separate spools to the front of the machine.  Some may find this a valuable addition, as carbons can be stripped out of cassettes meant for outmoded electric typewriters, and which can be had at $10 a bagful, if you keep your eyes open on eBay.

Sincerely,
beak.

23-7-2017 09:01:33  #4

Really...
Interesting.
I assumed it wouldn't be close at all with the SG1 dominating.

You know since you mention Hermes, for some reason I just haven't liked a couple machines that everyone seems to love.
My Hermes 3000 felt sluggish, and so did my Lettera 32. Like when you squeeze water out of a bottle and it takes a little longer for air to fill in the gap...like the keys weren't immediately ready to be pressed again. More with the Lettera than 3000 but still, I think the action on a Royal QDL was far superior in just about every way.

Then again, action on my 1968 rocket is lighting fast. Maybe I just got a couple bad ones...
Thx beak!

23-7-2017 09:20:35  #5

You're welcome.
Yes, the Ambassador is far less well known than the SG1, but just as good a machine.  There certainly should be no 'sluggishness' with any Hermes 3000 or Hermes standard, if in good order.  It's just a matter of feel, and though it can seem a little strange at first, the Hermes action is just as fast as Olympia's, and you soon get used to it - and, in my case at least, grow to love it just as much.  Let us know what you finally choose.

Sincerely,
beak.

23-7-2017 11:48:20  #6

Just picked up an SG1  about 30 minutes ago, but it $20 so even if I decided on the ambassador I would've picked it up anyways, at that price. Posted pic in acquisitions.

24-7-2017 15:59:22  #7

For that price, no questions admitted. It comes home, period. Good find!

The comparison I can make is between the SG3 and the Hermes 9, which is the next generation. The Ambassador is really hard to find here (the Hermes 6 is easier), and the 9 is a bit nagging but viable.

Thing is I find the Hermes 9 more fragile than the SG3, which is plainly indestructible. In addition the mechanics of the SG3 seem more "normal", mostly in the carriage, and the SG3 looks better IMO. But again, it depends a lot on personal preference. I keep getting the impression of Hermes being fragile and picky, only working properly if at 100%. The Olympias tolerate a lot of punishment, and that's a big bonus when hunting for typewriters because they've usually been neglected for a long time.

So, between Olympia and Hermes I'd go for the Olympia.

Another comparison: what about the Olivetti Lexicon 80?

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

24-7-2017 17:48:20  #8

Javi wrote:

... the SG3, which is plainly indestructible. In addition the mechanics of the SG3 seem more "normal", mostly in the carriage ...

​I would add that I would much rather have to repair an Olympia than a Hermes! I can't speak to the Ambassador, but all the other Hermes models that I've worked on were the stuff of nightmares.

Javi wrote:

Another comparison: what about the Olivetti Lexicon 80?

NO!!!!!! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-7-2017 20:23:03  #9

Well as always javi you do have some interesting suggestions! Haha
but those kind of machines seem pretty rare here... 

i checked on eBay I think there's one or 2 (Lexikon 80)
they look cool enough, do. they have paper injector? 
Thats the coolest feature...

i hope I can get the keys unstuck on that sg1... as soon as that dena alc dries up, feels like there's gum in segment! Manly outermost keys on edge of basket 

26-7-2017 13:07:25  #10

The Lexicon 80 is Olivetti´s best seller in Spain ever. The venerable Hispano Olivetti Lexicon 80 (not Lexikon) was everywhere, and it stuck. It´s tough but yeah, Uwe is right to a certain point.

It has nothing to do against a SG1, but c´mon, it´s not that bad! There´s a certain run on early Lexicons which have really annoying keytops because they look nice but are too small and you can easily stick your finger between keys. In fact, there´s as much empty space as keytops, turning the keyboard into a trap fro fingers. And it has an unique feature: that weird recoil which makes typing feel like jumping on a trampoline. You press a key and the machine "lifts" it back, your finger included.

All in all, it´s extremely easy to find here in Spain and competent enough, but it´s no SG1, true. But I wouldn´t say it´s bad, either.

And nope, no paper injector. Never seen one with it, at least, and I´ve seen quite a few because as I said they´re everywhere and if you´re not careful you can trip on one, fall off and lose a couple of teeth.

Sorry, I think I´ve deviated a lot from the OP!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera