You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-7-2017 13:07:42  #11

Re: Mineral Spirits made my keys stick much much more

I agree with the "getting worse before it gets better," but I think the OP should consider using a different brand of mineral spirits, because it may not get better. Jasco Odorless is the same chemical compound as Klean Strip Odorless, and it is different type of solvent--Hydrotreated light distillate--which is not the same type of mineral spirits as Varsol, which is a Stoddard solvent, the type that is generally recommended and was used by repairmen back in the day. From my experience, Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits, which is the same chemical as Jasco Odorless, is goddawful for cleaning the segment and moving parts. I have used it on a fairly clean segment and it completely stuck the mechanism exactly like the OP; and it would not get better. That type of mineral spirits leaves behind a stickiness. It will gum up everything, and not just because it is moving old grime, but because it is lousy for cleaning moving parts. I believe you could immobilize a completely clean typewriter with that type of odorless mineral spirits.

I do not believe they sell Varsol in the US, and most of the big box retailers in the US (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Menards) only carry the Klean Strip/Jasco/etc odorless type; but Startex Paint thinner, found at Sherwin Williams is 100% Stoddard solvent type mineral spirits, the same as Varsol. From what I have read, Stoddard solvent is the recommended type. The Stoddard solvent is excellent. Before I discovered the difference between types of mineral spirits, I was confused as to why everyone else was getting good results. Now I get it.

18-7-2017 13:20:23  #12

Good information SoucekFan.

comma, I strongly recommend that you stick to mineral spirits, in particular the brand that SoucekFan has recommended, which apparently should be readily available in your area.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-7-2017 23:33:21  #13

I'm picking up some startex tmrw for my new SG1
Denatured alcohol, while it has worked on a few machines previously-- Machines with one or two miscellaneous sticky keys -- is really not helping at all on this new machine...

I almost picked up a bottle of the odorless mineral spirits until I remembered reading this thread, that the odorless versions are often not as effective...

Great information and much appreciated!

26-7-2017 08:14:25  #14

I often rub my finger against the sides of the typebars where they contact the segment, in addition to using fluid cleaning, to get some of the oxidation and remaining crud off. It makes a difference.

26-7-2017 09:48:49  #15

Is that so. I hadn't considered that....
I'm very lazy by nature and tend towards the path of least resistance.
Terrible habit, needless to say

Thx

26-7-2017 10:55:02  #16

SoucekFan wrote:

I agree with the "getting worse before it gets better," but I think the OP should consider using a different brand of mineral spirits, because it may not get better. Jasco Odorless is the same chemical compound as Klean Strip Odorless, and it is different type of solvent--Hydrotreated light distillate--which is not the same type of mineral spirits as Varsol, which is a Stoddard solvent, the type that is generally recommended and was used by repairmen back in the day. From my experience, Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits, which is the same chemical as Jasco Odorless, is goddawful for cleaning the segment and moving parts. I have used it on a fairly clean segment and it completely stuck the mechanism exactly like the OP; and it would not get better. That type of mineral spirits leaves behind a stickiness. It will gum up everything, and not just because it is moving old grime, but because it is lousy for cleaning moving parts. I believe you could immobilize a completely clean typewriter with that type of odorless mineral spirits.

I do not believe they sell Varsol in the US, and most of the big box retailers in the US (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Menards) only carry the Klean Strip/Jasco/etc odorless type; but Startex Paint thinner, found at Sherwin Williams is 100% Stoddard solvent type mineral spirits, the same as Varsol. From what I have read, Stoddard solvent is the recommended type. The Stoddard solvent is excellent. Before I discovered the difference between types of mineral spirits, I was confused as to why everyone else was getting good results. Now I get it.

This has confused me also. I've bought mineral spirits to clean oil paint off paint brushes, and I've found it to be a milky substance -- totally not what I expected. Works fine for the brushes, but I'd never use it on a typewriter because it seems to leave a residue and does not evaporate quickly. I may look for the Stoddard-type stuff, but I've found naphtha (or whatever is used for lighter fluid these days) doesn't harm plastic or paint, and is effective in de-gumming the mechanicals of typewriters. (It works quite well in freeing up sticky leaf-type camera shutters and other internal camera parts too, which is how I came to use it in the first place.)

26-7-2017 10:58:37  #17

schyllerwade wrote:

Is that so. I hadn't considered that....
I'm very lazy by nature and tend towards the path of least resistance.
Terrible habit, needless to say

Thx

Well, it can be a tedious exercise. My point is that you may need to do more than just flushing with solvent, and fingerprints seems to be pretty good at removing thin layers of crud. A cotton swab works well too.

Don't forget to apply solvent to other linkages as well -- lift up the typebars and you should see other pivot points and linkages, which can get cruddy also.

26-7-2017 16:58:53  #18

I was told this morning by an employee that Sherwin Williams in Los Angeles (California rather) cannot carry the regular startex paint thinner, only the 'green' variety, due to certain environmental laws pertaining to VOCs. They also had mineral spirits but it didn't say "100%"....

I got some of green paint thinner and will see how it works today.

26-7-2017 20:40:36  #19

It's a little early band I'll have to check in tmrw, but it seems the paint thinner (even tho it's 'green'), seems to have been quite effective. Over the course of about an hour, I did multiple applications on an old gummed up Royal QDL (not a single key moving freely) and got it to where all but 1 or 2 keys are basically moving freely and unstuck.

Went back and forth between that and the SG1. The SG1 'seems' as though it might have improved on those sticky edge-of-the-basket keys...but I'll have to see tmrw.

Really strong vapors.  I cleaned them both out in the open air but having merely opened the canister of paint thinner in my studio apartment left an incredibly potent odor. Still airing it out after couple hours. Lesson learned.

27-7-2017 14:02:50  #20

Results: inconclusive.
Bordering on inexplicable...

The SG1 is MUCH WORSE. Checked this mrng and keys that previously were unproblematic are now sticking. Some that were sticking previously appear to have improved.

However, the Royal QDL, which previously was unuseable, is in perfect typing order. ZERO sticky keys and before the application, ALL of them were gummed up and sticking in top position.

Very confused right now

Board footera