You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-7-2017 17:22:02  #1

message board just ate my post

I just typed a lengthy and thought-provoking reply to a user's problem in the maintenance board. And, when I clicked the "preview" button, the page blanked and sat there with a little spinning icon up in the menu bar. All it said in the lower left corner was "transferring data from www.google.com". I went out into the kitchen to do something and it was still locked up when I came back so I just killed that tab in Firefox and lost all of my beautiful and heart-rending words. I am sure I'll never be able to write such a perfect ode ever again!
     It probably has nothing to do with this message board software. Likely that the internet gods are just toying with me today. But I wanted to rant somewhere about it.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

18-7-2017 11:48:11  #2

Re: message board just ate my post

Well, that really sucks, and I can relate as it's happened to me on more than one occasion. However, given the message you received, I'm fairly certain that it had nothing to do with the software running Typewriter Talk. Did you have other tabs open in your browser at the time? It sounds like maybe something that was going on in another tab caused your browser to crash (or hang).

​As a side note, Typewriter Talk is an online forum and not a message board. Message boards are quite limited in their functionality and are more focused toward question/answer interactions whereas forums are more community oriented with provisions for allowing open dialogue between all users/members. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-7-2017 14:50:29  #3

Yes, I hate when that happens, and man, it DOES happen and it seems to be hiding under a rock waiting for you to write something a little more elaborate than the regular post to attack. As a result, rage takes over and that what was written isn´t rewritten and. But as Monty Python said, there´s more in life than just swear and curse. #@!* it, there isn´t .

Uwe wrote:

​As a side note, Typewriter Talk is an online forum and not a message board. Message boards are quite limited in their functionality and are more focused toward question/answer interactions whereas forums are more community oriented with provisions for allowing open dialogue between all users/members. 

I´d like to point out something which goes roughly in that direction: sometimes people want an answer INMEDIATELY. No, not INMEDIATELY, but NOW!!!, andwhat´s worse than message boards are social networks, where everything comes and goes. Forget about finding anything useful which has been posted a while ago and you´d better hope you get an answer RIGHTNOWWITHOUTSPACESINBETWEEN (because spaces make it slower). And even if you do, that potentially valuable information for others will soon be lost in a barrage of pretty much everything.

This is just a ridiculous way of telling how valuable forums are. Information is preserved and properly ordered, you are not forced to be there 24/7 because the rest of the world expects you to do so (say hullo, Facebook!) and, believe it or not, in these days when each newer social network has an average life of several months in the mind of the average user, still the forums go.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

30-7-2017 17:49:00  #4

This has happened to me repeatedly over the years and in many different fora (surprise pass from the spell-checker).

After it happens you are careful to draft your longer replies offline in Notepad or Word for awhile but after it has not happened for awhile you are bound to become complacent -- until next time. Sometimes you get lucky and the back button on the browser recovers a page with your words intact, but the foolproof way to avoid this annoyance is to remain silent.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera