You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-8-2017 23:05:03  #1

Chieftain Tower / Lettera 22 keys sticking

Hello,
I recently purchased a Chieftain Tower, but in doing my research and seeing it was made in Italy discovered that it is actually a re-branded version of the Olivetti Lettera 22.

Unfortunately, some of the keys stick, in that it does not retract, or feel slow and heavy to try and punch, or when I type one key another one or two of the neighboring letters partially extends with the key I tried to type with. It makes typing a devilish chore to undo all the jams. 

What can I do to get this machine in proper working order again?

Also, it seems to me like the carriage locking bar isn't doing anything, but I know that I'm new enough that I may just be using it wrong. I've never embarked upon an endeavor like this one, but I'm willing to learn and listen.

I think that's all the issues I've seen so far. Thank you for helping this newbie.
I can add pictures or a video if requested. Thanks again! 

02-8-2017 00:25:58  #2

Re: Chieftain Tower / Lettera 22 keys sticking

Hi Zax

​Your simplest and easiest fix would be to find a reputable typewriter repair shop in your area and get the machine professionally serviced. It may cost a few dollars, but I guarantee you'll enjoy using your typewriter after from then on. Alternatively, you can attempt to clean the typewriter yourself and learn as you go. You will find lots of useful information and help on this forum. There are also service manuals available for purchase through typewriterdatabase.com. Best of luck with your Lettera 22,

Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-8-2017 09:28:13  #3

If typing a key is lifting one or two next to it, that sounds to me like linkages are catching on eachother. You can probably see this if you gilt back the typewriter and press one of the keys that drags along others.

Slow/sticky keys is just a cleaning issue, cleaning out the segment (where all the typebars pivot) with something like mineral spirits (essentially refined paint thinner) or a similar solvent will likely help a lot.
Put a couple drops on a sticky or slow pivot, work the pivot back and forth, and then wipe off what you can with a paper towel. You'll want to do this in a ventilated area, and be careful not to get solvent on plastic, rubber, or paint.

26-9-2017 20:48:03  #4

Thanks. I used some denatured alcohol to help clear up the gunk. It works more or less ok now. Thanks

Board footera