You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-8-2017 14:40:06  #11

Re: Cleaning woes

I had not seen the version with the painted black trim. I wonder if mine is just painted grey. The serial number is D-219360, so probably a 1941-42 model.

02-8-2017 18:06:02  #12

Yours is a '41 model. Having looked at images now of examples from all of the Varsity's production years, it looks like the earlier ones, such as the one I have, had its ribbon cover trim painted glossy black to contrast the crinkle paint. The 1940 model year seemed to have a very bright trim, perhaps chrome or nickel plated. The 1941 and 1942 models in contrast had a very dull metal trim, so the question remains, what is the trim finished in? ​Having looked at another one of my Royal models from that era, my first guess would be that it's nickel plated. Your observation that it has a "yellow tint" is a classic sign of nickel plating, especially the kind that was done pre-war. Given what was going on at the time your typewriter was made, I wouldn't be surprised if Royal had to cut a few corners on the plating of decorative parts, and why those parts haven't stood the test of time as well.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-8-2017 18:44:58  #13

I think it has held up very well despite its "budget" parts I finally have it all cleaned up and it looks practically new (other than missing the silver printed text on the front and back, but that was my fault). The case looks like it has been through a lot but the machine itself is fine.

02-8-2017 21:32:15  #14

So you did manage to clean (polish) the ribbon cover trim after all?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-8-2017 23:34:45  #15

I polished it as much as I dared. The feel of the surface is much smoother than before but it did not polish to any kind of shine. I can only guess that it is painted.

Board footera