You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-8-2017 11:38:41  #1

Hemingway's Key West Typewriter

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what year Hemingway's Royal Quiet Deluxe is?
Pretty sure it's a 1940's model. 
Here's a bunch of pics to help identify: https://www.google.com/search?q=hemingway%27s+key+west+typewriter+royal&hl=en&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKkN2fycrVAhXlqlQKHQvEAgkQ_AUICigB&biw=1718&bih=1301#imgrc=abC3po5ur4T-_M:

By the way, if you know more about what books were written with that typewriter please let me know.
Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------
1954 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1949 Smith Corona Silent, 1957 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1967 FACIT TP1, 1969 Olivetti Ventura

09-8-2017 11:45:11  #2

Re: Hemingway's Key West Typewriter

Yup, looks like one that's prior to 1947/48 when the Henry Dreyfus-designed model came out. I believe Royal stopped production of the QDL from like 1942-44, so this would be either before or after that period.

09-8-2017 11:56:46  #3

After digging around some, I discovered he moved out of the Key West house in 1939. From looking at the Typewriter Database, I think this model was first made in 1939. So my best guess is it has to be a 1939 QDL.
It couldn't be older as he didn't live their after 1939. 

1954 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1949 Smith Corona Silent, 1957 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1967 FACIT TP1, 1969 Olivetti Ventura

09-8-2017 13:10:52  #4

Well, it may be they just got a machine that looks like one in the pictures -- is it for sure his typewriter?

09-8-2017 13:16:49  #5

scottw wrote:

After digging around some, I discovered he moved out of the Key West house in 1939. From looking at the Typewriter Database, I think this model was first made in 1939. So my best guess is it has to be a 1939 QDL.

Do you mean it couldn't be *newer* as he didn't live there after 1939?

Be aware that people who operate museums are not necessarily too fastidious in making up their exhibits. Now, I do not know whether this typewriter is actually one that Hemingway used and I do not want to impugn the people who operate this house, but I do know that sometimes it is sufficient to have an exhibit convey the feeling of its subject, and this might be just the "old typewriter" to do the job, even if it was built in 1945. And why would he move out in 1939 but leave his typewriter behind? This one on display had to have been found somewhere other than in the house when the next tenant moved in and didn't want it so they put it in storage 'til the museum opened.

Your judgement of its being 1939 is good work, though, and likely right.

09-8-2017 13:29:19  #6

M. Höhne wrote:

scottw wrote:

Do you mean it couldn't be *newer* as he didn't live there after 1939?

Be aware that people who operate museums are not necessarily too fastidious in making up their exhibits. Now, I do not know whether this typewriter is actually one that Hemingway used and I do not want to impugn the people who operate this house, but I do know that sometimes it is sufficient to have an exhibit convey the feeling of its subject, and this might be just the "old typewriter" to do the job, even if it was built in 1945. And why would he move out in 1939 but leave his typewriter behind? This one on display had to have been found somewhere other than in the house when the next tenant moved in and didn't want it so they put it in storage 'til the museum opened.

Your judgement of its being 1939 is good work, though, and likely right.

Very good thoughts. I know if I ran the museum I wouldn't let such an important artifact just sit in that humid Florida air to rust. Why would he leave it behind is a great question too.

Board footera