Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-7-2017 11:27:18  #11

Re: Typewriter Spotting

I would say that assuming it's a Royal Model O is a fairly safe bet even though it might possibly be a Speed King, so 10 points for Fleetwing. But I don't think that the plane has been correctly identified yet.

"To save time is to lengthen life."

27-7-2017 11:44:54  #12

I know nothing about planes, but I will guess: Short Sunderland.

27-7-2017 11:56:23  #13

Uwe wrote:

I would say that assuming it's a Royal Model O is a fairly safe bet even though it might possibly be a Speed King

It doesn't have the tabulator key, so it is not a Speed King.

27-7-2017 12:32:46  #14

Uwe wrote:

I would say that assuming it's a Royal Model O is a fairly safe bet even though it might possibly be a Speed King, so 10 points for Fleetwing. But I don't think that the plane has been correctly identified yet.

On second thought, the radio operator (or is he navigator?) is likely wearing an RAF cap -- USAAF officer caps would have the eagle logo on the front. I think I was initially fooled because I was under the impression that USAAF officers tended to wear their caps in the air, while RAF officer flight crews wore the (more practical) skull caps. (This might have been a posed shot on the ground, come to think of it.) He looks more like a UK guy though -- maybe it's the Errol Flynn mustache.

Short Sunderland -- that's a good guess, since the setup (including the typewriter) looks more like something a long distance scouting plane would have. But the Sunderlands were operated by the Fleet Air Arm, not the RAF I think. So I don't know whether the guy is kitted out in FAA garb or not. Also, would a British plane have a Royal, or an Imperial?

I think I'll go with a Lancaster or Halifax. Since Uwe posted it, maybe this is an RCAF plane?

27-7-2017 13:00:11  #15

Fleetwing wrote:

On second thought, the radio operator (or is he navigator?) is likely wearing an RAF cap -- USAAF officer caps would have the eagle logo on the front. I think I was initially fooled because I was under the impression that USAAF officers tended to wear their caps in the air, while RAF officer flight crews wore the (more practical) skull caps. (This might have been a posed shot on the ground, come to think of it.) He looks more like a UK guy though -- maybe it's the Errol Flynn mustache.

Short Sunderland -- that's a good guess, since the setup (including the typewriter) looks more like something a long distance scouting plane would have. But the Sunderlands were operated by the Fleet Air Arm, not the RAF I think. So I don't know whether the guy is kitted out in FAA garb or not. Also, would a British plane have a Royal, or an Imperial?

I think I'll go with a Lancaster or Halifax. Since Uwe posted it, maybe this is an RCAF plane?

Ha. I was following the much the same train of thought, and started with the cap (influenced by the mustache as well) and then tried to pick a WWII Royal Canadian Air Force plane that might have had been used for recon. My plane knowledge is based on whatever I learned online at 1am last night.

27-7-2017 16:32:30  #16

Fleetwing wrote:

​Ha! Now that's what I call working the nuances!

​To the best of my knowledge, it's an American plane and navigator... and Errol Flynn was an Aussie.

10-8-2017 15:59:04  #17

Still waiting for the answers here.... 

10-8-2017 19:12:03  #18

Ha! I was waiting for more guesses!

10-8-2017 20:14:24  #19

Maybe this exchange will revive interest!

15-10-2017 18:57:46  #20

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/10/16/arts/Wilburobit2/Wilburobit2-superJumbo.jpg

The poet Richard Wilbur died this past Saturday. Thi picture of him with his typewriter ran in tonight's NY Times

Board footera