You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-8-2017 22:36:58  #1431

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Good looking Triumph Perfekt. What's it like? I've always wondered whether I shouldn't try to find one. They're not that uncommon here in the Netherlands, but I've always find them a bit 'plastic' looking, so was never really drawn to them.
But the one on your photo's looks marvellous.

15-8-2017 23:34:06  #1432

To tell you the truth I was never that impressed with them either
I had seen them before and passed, owing primarily to the color scheme, which isn't great, if you ask me

But I feel obligated to reiterate that this is one in pristine condition
It's almost as if it was bought new and then put into storage
I don't think there is a single type slug that has any ink build up.

The typing action has a solid thud-click feeling. You know when youve pressed a key.
But the carriage return. BUTTER. SMOOTH. More or less silent with an almost imperceptibly faint clicking.
That was probably the most impressive feature to me.  Also given its size I was surprised it had a spring-loaded paper support. I had only seen that on more portable machines, and of course Olympias. At least in my experience.

The only downside and I read that this was a fairly common thing with triumphs and Adler is is that there is a tendency for the bottom lid to get stuck to the typewriter. That happened to this one as well and it took some tinkering to get the bottom lid off because the rubber grommets had apparently fused to the metal?  Something along those lines that I read on Reddit.  There were about six or seven owners who replied that they had the exact same issue when they bought their's.

But again as far as the typewriter goes, no complaints other than the platen being a little too hard.  I don't really consider that an issue of functionality though.  Mechanically,  I am extremely impressed.

16-8-2017 09:04:38  #1433

What a find!!!

Today (coincidence?) I´been using its tiny little cousin, a Triumph Tippa. In fact, the paper and carriage release levers look the same. If its quality is proportional to the size then your machine must be incredible. In fact, I have 2 Tippas, and both of them have what seems to be a trait of Triumphs: very durable machinery. It´s the total opposite of the picky Hermes, and reminds me a lot of the grossly underrated Consuls.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

16-8-2017 09:36:29  #1434

That is funny lol
I've actually been meaning to acquire a consul
They're not the most common, but neither are they too expensive
Just waiting for an interesting one...

But yes I am quite satisfied. I originally intended to sell, but was so impressed with the typing experience And overall condition...it will be hard to part with.

16-8-2017 10:50:58  #1435

Wow, a beautiful machine! Very nice find

16-8-2017 12:00:49  #1436

schyllerwade wrote:

... it took some tinkering to get the bottom lid off because the rubber grommets had apparently fused to the metal? Something along those lines that I read on Reddit.

​Just as with the platen, as rubber ages it becomes harder, less pliable, and naturally will not give way as easily to the shape of the metal pin holding the typewriter in place. This is not something unique the TA brand; many brands that used similar mounting methods have the same issue. And it's not, as Reddit would have people believe, a case of the grommet "fusing" to the metal pin.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-8-2017 16:19:44  #1437

We just went to an antique store almost an hour away. There were a few typewriters there -- a toy dial typewriter that I was sorely tempted to get, but resisted, a beautiful Remington 5 that was in a non-working state, and when we called the owner she had no clue what was wrong, and it was just too expensive to justify since I have no clue how to fix these things yet -- and the third one, which I bought, was an old Royal desktop that's got a little rust on the outer metal bits, but which still works perfectly and has glass keys. Not the most beautiful typewriter out there, but it was only $27. Its bell is very loud, striking :D

Although, I believe I'll have to respool this ink ribbon onto its old spools. I bought ones that fit the newer portable Royal I have, and they're too small to tick to the side, so the same part just keeps on getting hit and the letters fade in time.

Will try to post a picture later, along with the one I first got last weekend (which was cheaper by $2 and is in better condition).

22-8-2017 22:24:34  #1438

Okay, I'm on Imagur now, so I can share these. 

Here's my "new" 1903 Remington Standard 7. It's a mess. 

It's got an "f.o.b." key (freight on board?), which I think is kind of interesting. 

Here it is, in the basket. 

26-8-2017 21:33:42  #1439

I just picked up this 1931 Corona Four with advanceless accent keys and a couple of other unique keys. Works well, but I can tell that a new platen will be in its future. Sometimes it types very cleanly, but other times it prints half faded and half clean. The platen does have some interesting depressions in it, probably from lack of use with the feed rollers engaged. http://typewriterdatabase.com/1931-corona-4.9049.typewriter

26-8-2017 21:45:08  #1440

Wow, very pretty!  ^^^

Sooo, I was browsing this store that's a strange mix of "bookstore connected to antique shop", and found a whole bunch of old typewriters. Took pictures of them all, but they all had something wrong with them but one. And since it was cheap, I just had to have it... a '49 Smith Corona Silent! Here it is, pictured next to my QDL and KMM that I forgot to post pictures of as well. There goes the last of my ink ribbons 

I have to say, I really like how it types. I've been spending most of my time on the KMM, but this one may take first place as my favorite 

Board footera