You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-8-2017 14:26:02  #1

Carriage return lever and misaligned letter issues on Lettera 32

I have an Olivetti Lettera 32 with a couple of issues that I was hoping that you guys could help me with.

The first issues is a sagging carriage return lever. It's rather loose at the pivot point and that's causing it to drag across the ribbon cover, damaging the paint. The screw is tight, so I'm guessing that this is a simple matter of a worn out part. The area on the lever that makes contact with the nub on the arm to stop it from moving down is rather deformed at this point.

I have an identical but non-functional Lettera 32 on the way that I intend to use for parts. Might this be a simple matter of replacing the lever and screw with one from the parts machine or am I looking at replacing the arm too? I imagine this question will answer itself when the time comes, so I'll definitely be reporting back with what I find. I'm just trying to be complete.

The second issue is that the letter "a" prints too high. I know that type alignment is rarely perfect, but this particular letter is rather noticeable. One solution I've noticed on this board is to heat the solder and move the typeslug to the desired position, but this seems like it'd be monumentally difficult to get right, especially for a novice like myself. I'm wondering if the easier solution would be to transplant the "a" typebar from the parts machine into this one. How would I go about doing that?

19-8-2017 05:29:48  #2

Re: Carriage return lever and misaligned letter issues on Lettera 32

I've got the carriage return lever figured out, but I'm still hoping that I can get some advice on the other issue.

19-8-2017 10:23:45  #3

Tinkering with typeslugs is quite difficult, because it's so easy to make things worse. The printing can be misalligned due to the typebar not resting in the correct position (check if anything is blocking its normal movement), the typebar could also be bent (in which case be very careful, because properly reshaping typebars requires a specific tool in order to avoid greater damage), or it could be in the typeslug itself. But first check the typebar, sometimes the solution is easier than risky operations or substituting the whole typebar / typeslug system.

And if it definitely is the typeslug... I don't recommend trying anything with it. This issue was discussed in another post here about a Groma Kolibri which had the same issue (i'm typing from my tablet and posting links is disastrously hard, sorry!), and there was a general consensus about the dangers of (re)soldering typeslugs. In fact, your option of replacing it seems to me more viable if you feel confident to do it. But as always, before getting anything better, don't make anything worse.

You have by your side the durability of the Lettera 32, though. It's a quite repair-friendly typewriter for a portable.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

19-8-2017 11:51:04  #4

That would be my groma javi is referring to. And here is the link.

http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2275

I have yet to attempt any sort of bending or forming of any kind, mostly because I'm still trying to get all the type bars moving freely and unstuck, but also in lieu of the overwhelming recommendation from members here to avoid doing this, as it can be disastrous without the proper tools and know-how.

20-8-2017 00:59:59  #5

Javi wrote:

Tinkering with typeslugs is quite difficult, because it's so easy to make things worse. The printing can be misalligned due to the typebar not resting in the correct position (check if anything is blocking its normal movement), the typebar could also be bent (in which case be very careful, because properly reshaping typebars requires a specific tool in order to avoid greater damage), or it could be in the typeslug itself. But first check the typebar, sometimes the solution is easier than risky operations or substituting the whole typebar / typeslug system.

And if it definitely is the typeslug... I don't recommend trying anything with it. This issue was discussed in another post here about a Groma Kolibri which had the same issue (i'm typing from my tablet and posting links is disastrously hard, sorry!), and there was a general consensus about the dangers of (re)soldering typeslugs. In fact, your option of replacing it seems to me more viable if you feel confident to do it. But as always, before getting anything better, don't make anything worse.

I took a couple of pictures. You can find them here.

Nothing appears to be blocking the typebar's movement. The operation is smooth as far as I can tell. About the only thing I've noticed, and I'm not even sure if it's a problem, is that the "a" typebar on my Lettera 32 is ever-so-slightly closer to the "q" typebar than on the parts machine.

In regards to messing with the solder on the typeslug, I'm going to write that off as a bad idea. It's highly unlikely that I'll ever get it right. If the typebar on my Lettera 32 can't just be adjusted, I'll see if I can figure out a way to perform a typebar transplant from the parts machine. I'm curious what that tool is that you spoke of. It might be handy to have such a tool.

You have by your side the durability of the Lettera 32, though. It's a quite repair-friendly typewriter for a portable.

It's a wonderful typewriter and it seems to have been well cared for. I like it so much that it replaced my Olympia SM9 as my go-to typer. If I could just correct the "a" typebar alignment, it would be as close to perfect as can be.

Admittedly though, I'm probably not seeing my SM9 at its best. The Ebay seller I purchased it from lied about its condition. The poor thing really needs a good cleaning and servicing. Live and learn, I guess. I know what to watch out for now.

schyllerwade wrote:

That would be my groma javi is referring to. And here is the link.

http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2275

I have yet to attempt any sort of bending or forming of any kind, mostly because I'm still trying to get all the type bars moving freely and unstuck, but also in lieu of the overwhelming recommendation from members here to avoid doing this, as it can be disastrous without the proper tools and know-how.

Yikes! That's considerably worse than mine. I hope everything works out for you.

20-8-2017 14:54:57  #6

I think I can see something in that type sample... Maybe it's just me, but there may be a little difference when typing in caps. It seems to be a bit more even.

If it's the case, I'd say it's a fine tuning issue. I'm having a hard time trying to explain this as accurately as possible, but my mind goes in the direction of larger typewriters, in which vertical allignment can be adjusted easily. Standsrd sized Underwoods, I mean. I don't know if it's viable in a Lettera 32 (I have 5, of which 3 are fine and the other 2 are inoperative and waiting for repairs), so this is like thinking aloud.

Anyway, I insist: I'm far from being an expert. This is just an option That I think doesn't harm to consider   

Apart from that... I find interesting how you compare a SM9 and a humble Lettera 32. I've always said the Pluma 22 is one of the best small portables and the Lettera 32 is its worthy successor, but the SM9 is a true force of nat... Engineering. Thing is that they should play in different leagues. The SM9 is much larger, so you should expect better results, but the Lettera 32 no doubt punches above its weight. I guess that's why I have 5 Letteras 32 and "only" 2 SM9's 

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

20-8-2017 15:42:16  #7

Haha honestly I looked at your type sample and I was wondering where the picture was of the bad slug...or the misaligned letter (s)

I guess I can see it in the A but man...that seems like heaven compared to mine! Lol but I get wanting it perfect, I absolutely understand that...

21-8-2017 15:35:25  #8

Javi wrote:

I guess that's why I have 5 Letteras 32 and "only" 2 SM9's

Hehe. I actually just purchased a second SM9 earlier this morning, a mid-60s model with the green, cursive logo, white and green keys, and chrome ends on the carriage. Beautiful typewriter. Now I just hope that FedEx doesn't trash it.

Board footera