You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-8-2017 15:36:22  #1

Royal KMG With Issues

Hello all,
This is my first post to this forum and I am excited to learn more about typewriters here!
I recently purchased a decent looking Royal KMG in an antique shop (it even had its dust cover!) with a few problems. It was twenty dollars so I thought it would at least make a good typewriter to tinker with. It needs a good cleaning but may have a bent part or missing spring in a few places.
Any thoughts on the causes would be appreciated.
Thanks

1. The keys will not strike the platen. I have adjusted the right margins and touch sensitivity knob. The keys can strike but I have to push down ridiculously hard to force them to reach the paper.
2. The left-hand keys do not advance the carriage. If I push down hard on the keys on the right-hand side, the carriage will move, but nothing from T, G, and B to the left side will move it. The carriage will move (slowly) when I press the carriage release so I'm guessing the disconnect is between the keys and mainspring.
3. The shift key will not release the caps lock. This is a minor issue to me since I could live without it, but thought I should mention it.

Thanks again for any suggestions!

23-8-2017 16:12:18  #2

Re: Royal KMG With Issues

Welcome! Man, I know if I had these problems I would not be happy, even if I only spent $20. I hope fervently that your problems are a matter of the machine needing cleaning, first and foremost. Don't undertake anything more until you've done cleaning.

1. Are you able to physically push the typebars (the levers that actually swing up to hit the ribbon against the paper when you push the keys) so that they contact the platen? Or are they blocked from doing so? Hopefully it's not the latter; you may need to clean the segment (the slots into which the typebars fit when they swing upward) as well as the other linkages between the keys and the typebars in order to get things to work properly.
2. Don't know why the lefthand keys cause more trouble, but I suspect, based on your description of what happens when you press the carriage release, that the tracks on which the carriage rides are in need of serious cleaning, and perhaps the bearings supporting the carriage as well.
3. This sounds also like cleaning is needed.

23-8-2017 19:09:06  #3

Thanks, Fleetwing.
Yes, I can push the typebars to make contact. They can make contact if I strike the key hard and fast enough too.
I can handle cleaning it up. I'm just glad the first response was not, "All the stuff is bent up and you'll have to pay hundreds for parts!"

23-8-2017 19:16:48  #4

I also need to make a correction.

The carriage can move easily and quickly when I push down on the release. I'm working on an Underwood right now that has the slow carriage problem.

23-8-2017 20:55:26  #5

Okay, for those who want a funny story, read ahead. Also, please forgive the made-up names for parts, I still do not know the correct names for every part of a typewriter.

I was planning on a complete disassembly to clean this so, to familiarize myself with the machine, I lifted the typewriter up so I could see where all the moving bits connected. I found a system of cams and rods connecting the plate where all the keys attach to a long, flat piece of metal running along the front next to a comb-like piece that spaced the arms of the keys. One of the things I found odd about this typewriter was how much slack was in all the springs and rods connecting the keys to the machine and it looked like this was how to fix it. It turns out this piece of metal running across the front of the machine was on the wrong side of the comb. It was blocking the keys every time I pushed them down. I pushed the comb forward enough to bring the piece of metal to the other side. I don't think it provides much tension on the spring plate, but the metal piece is out of the way now.
One of the three screws holding the comb in place is missing so I think it was loose enough to let the metal slip the wrong side and jam the whole unit up.
I spent more time trying to pull the side panels off and getting them back on than actually fixing the problem.

It still needs a new ribbon (probably goes without saying), a good cleaning, a few letters need aligning, and the "R" key likes to stick, but every problem I listed is fixed now.
The caps lock shoots up when I push the shift key, all keys advance the carriage, the keys strike so easily that I'm cranking the touch controls up to six, and this Cold War piece of steel sounds like a B.A.R.

Not bad for twenty bucks.

28-1-2018 16:40:10  #6

Just wanted to thank you for this post. I picked up a Royal KMG with identical problems and an identical fix.  I will add that when the strip of metal is in the correct place (in front of the comb) the right margin stop engages the strip of metal and pushes it against the comb, preventing the keys from striking the paper. So what we felt when the keys weren't working was more or less the margin control mechanism blocking the keys.  Thanks again!

28-1-2018 17:46:46  #7

Yeah, that strip of metal, or the “line lock” would have been the first thing I’d have checked.  I would recommend replacing the springs.  The line lock should stay out of place until the carriage hits the right margin.  Make sure the entire bar is straight, it should lock the whole keyboard, not just half.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera