You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-8-2017 08:25:02  #1

Corona Four platen removal

Hello all, I am trying to remove the platen on my Corona Four and I cannot quite figure it out. I have removed the two screws on the right side of the platen but the platen rod will only move about a quarter of an inch and cannot be removed because of the platen knob on the other side; however, this seems to be pressed on. I don't want to force anything, so I thought I would ask.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. OliverNo.9

07-10-2017 21:12:36  #2

Re: Corona Four platen removal

Anyone know is the platen removal on a Corona 4 is similar to the 'Flattop' Coronas?
Thanks in advance.

14-11-2017 20:57:14  #3

Re: Corona Four platen removal

I figured it out... quit by surprise!
You loosen the screws on the right side of the carriage and remove the right platen knob as well. Then, if it is not stuck by 90+or- years of grease, oil, and dust, the rod should pull out with the left platen knob. Be careful not to lose the two 'arms' inside the platen. These are used to release the indexing when you pull the left platen knob out.
Robert Messengers post about the 4-series, flat top, Coronas gave me a really good idea of how to remove it, but as I said, if it has any old grease in the indexing mechanism (and mine did) you will have to use quite a bit of force to remove it.

Board footera