You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-8-2017 14:47:56  #11

Re: Getting used to a typewriter

missy20201 wrote:

I'm still perfecting my typewriter typing technique (it's... very different from a computer. Goodbye, 80 wpm!). But I will say, my '39 KMM and '51 SC Silent are very forgiving with me, but my '53 QDL is just brutal. I start typing too quickly with imperfect strokes and suddenly letters are squashed and there are random spaces in my words... Gah. It's got the smoothest carriage and is fun to use, but it's a real picky thing! 

Yes, a common experience with the Royals, and the QDLs especially, it would seem. They're so darn smooth that they seem to encourage you to type faster than the machine can handle -- resulting in the crowding of letters and skipping. So you have to maybe type a little more smoothly, knowing that these have this tendency. Is the left margin consistent, or does it sometimes not line up at the same point? That's another quirk of these machines, one that isn't the fault of the user.

28-8-2017 20:34:29  #12

Re: Getting used to a typewriter

Fleetwing wrote:

Yes, a common experience with the Royals, and the QDLs especially, it would seem. They're so darn smooth that they seem to encourage you to type faster than the machine can handle -- resulting in the crowding of letters and skipping. So you have to maybe type a little more smoothly, knowing that these have this tendency. Is the left margin consistent, or does it sometimes not line up at the same point? That's another quirk of these machines, one that isn't the fault of the user.

You know, I've never really had an issue with the QDL's left margin, but I've definitely noticed it on the KMM. Not too often, just enough to kind of drive you crazy when you start to pay attention to it 

But I'm glad it's not just me! Silly picky QDL's... 

Board footera