You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-8-2017 08:03:35  #11

Re: Ultra-portable with tab set/tab clear buttons...

Javi wrote:

Uwe wrote:

. I may have misunderstood Javi, but the Lettera 22 does have a keyboard set tabulator as well (ditto for the Lettera 33 or DL), and I would certainly classify it as an ultra-portable.

Now I have another doubt... What is a Smith Corona Standard, then?
It´s portable sized but it´s called "Standard". Why?!

Marketing.

That's the main reason for naming any product. In this case possibly, "It's the Standard by which all others are measured!" 

30-8-2017 10:46:03  #12

Stumbled across an Olympia elite while browsing TWDB...looks to have tab function I'm looking for...and as for size it *appears* to be in line with what I'm looking for...can't tell for sure based on available pictures

JAVI
I know that the lettera 32 has the tab function I'm after but I've just never grown accustomed to that typing action. I know others swear by it but...maybe I haven't come across one in good enough condition to really appreciate their design/operation

30-8-2017 14:59:29  #13

The Elite is not an ultra-portable. 

​Optima is not a rebranded Olympia. After the World War II when the Allies carved Germany in half and created an East and West version, the executives of Olympia moved the company to the west zone and established a new factory in Wilhelmshaven. However, some of the Olympia staff stayed and continued producing typewriters at the original factory in Erfurt, which was in the east zone. For a while both locations were producing typewriters under the Olympia brand name until Wilhelmshaven took the matter to court and won, and the Erfurt-based Olympia had to change its name to Optima.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-8-2017 15:09:45  #14

Javi wrote:

Now I have another doubt... What is a Smith Corona Standard, then?

Definitely not an ultra-portable. An ultra-portable has to embrace the "Sehr Flach" (SF), or very flat design profile. The Underwood 3-Bank below, which is another "Standard Portable", is tiny in its width and depth dimensions, but is not an ultra-portable because its too tall. One litmus test for what makes an ultra-portable is the airplane test: If you're used to flying cattle-class like I am, and have to contort your body to fit into one of those super narrow airplane seat without any leg room, will your portable typewriter easily fit under the seat in front of you? An ultra-portable will and with room to spare. Some regular portables might, but it would be a tight fit and they would be disqualified from the category.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-8-2017 17:02:53  #15

The airplane test is a good one. However, I don't think you're suggesting actually using it in flight, right? You'd be driving your neighbors crazy. Even if the noise doesn't bother them, the carriage may intrude on your seatmates (or hit the flight attendent if you're on the aisle). But at the very least, your machine is with you and won't get crushed in the overhead bin.

30-8-2017 17:41:13  #16

I can't even fully open a computer notebook anymore on an airplane, so I couldn't imagine trying to use a typewriter (not that I would even consider it). No, it's as you pointed out, just the safest place to put a typewriter when travelling by air. For a couple of years I used to do take one with me, it was really more of an experiment to see what it was like to travel with an older technology, but now I will only take a machine when travelling by car.

31-8-2017 00:54:18  #17

Oh ok thanks for clarifying that

06-9-2017 10:36:01  #18

Found another I think. The Remington 333

...although not sure about tab function. I see tab key...but nowhere to set/clear them?
Is this one of the ones that had preset tabs ever 10 spaces....

Board footera