You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-9-2017 13:29:02  #1

What is your oldest usable machine?

I know that we all have typewriters that are used often, sometimes daily.
Most of these machines date to about 1930-1970. I am wondering what the oldest usable typewriter is among Typewriter Talk members. 
My oldest usable machine is a 1897 Smith Premier 2.
It still has a soft platen.

My blog - Just Typewriters

04-9-2017 14:39:08  #2

Re: What is your oldest usable machine?

That's incredible! I'm very new to this game (I have only 3, and can't get more for now because of space and money...), so my oldest is only my KMM. I believe it's from 1939

04-9-2017 17:47:27  #3

My 1912 LC Smith 5 is the third oldest in my collection and oldest usable machine. I can use the 1911 Remington Standard 10 and Hammond 2 but they have their issues which make them just a touch less usable.
I can't wait to find a Smith Premier. I have seen a couple in person but one was missing the carriage and the other was too expensive.

04-9-2017 18:17:04  #4

mre12ax7 wrote:

... It still has a soft platen.

​"Still has" implies that the rubber on the platen is original, which I highly doubt if its "soft".

​I don't collect 'non-standard' machines because I simply don't have any interest in them, which means that all the ones I own are 20th century models (with a few 21st century examples thrown in for good measure). Probably my oldest standard model that I use is a 1904 Continental, but I do have others from that era that are awaiting restoration.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-9-2017 20:40:10  #5

Let's see... pre-WWI...
1915 Hammond. Works beautifully.
1904 Oliver 3. On the workbench. Might be functional by the end of the year. 
1903 Remington Standard No. 7. Nowhere close to functional. 
1900 Smith Premier No. 4. Workbench. May be up and running in the next few months.
The ones that I use on a regular basis are the big standard Remingtons, Underwoods, and Smiths from 1922-1927. Ish. 

05-9-2017 20:36:47  #6

Currently, the 1920 Corona 3 folding is the oldest working machine.
1901 Smith Premier No. 4 - back in shop  
1908 Oliver No. 5 - headed back to shop. 
1922 Royal 10 - headed back to shop. 

Dang it!!!!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

06-9-2017 13:03:07  #7

Let´s see... First the usable ones:

1909 Fox 23.

In PERFECT condition after being serviced by Pascual and Alberto. A true pleasure to type with!

1915 Remington 10:

Surprisingly, it came in good condition. Somebody must have taken care of it at some point, because even the ribbon is fine. Another joy to use!

1916 Underwood 3:

Not usable at first, but it´s one of these machines I feel proud of because I made it work! I must say it was easy-peasy, mostly owing to the legendary durability of the Underwoods. Not as satisfying to use because its so... modern. Works flawlessly, and for sure you wouldn´t say it´s 100+ years old.

And as for non-working machines...
1912 Smith Premier 10-A. Everything works fine, but it needs thorough cleaning, a new ribbon and a new spacebar. I think I can tackle this one on my own.
1913 Bennett Portable. A Bennett will never be usable, period. Mine is fine as it is, because everything is in place except for the missing paper bail.
191X Diamant: A paperweight. I´m not sure about the date so it could be newer than other 1910´s typewriters I have (Adler 7, Royal 5, Continental Standard), but it doesn´t work and I´m in no hurry to have it repaired.

And finally, a special mention for a parts machine 1914 Underwood 5.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera