You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-9-2017 14:52:35  #1

Imperial Model 50 With Additional Features- Garage Find

Hi all,
I am wondering if you are able to help me, last year I lost my grandmother and have finally gotten round to clearing the garage out which was mostly full of my stuff except for this typewriter.
It’s always been there for as long as I can remember, covered slightly but not entirely.
I have done some research online purely out of curiosity and it seems to be a Model 50 with an F series serial number.
However, and this is where I need your help, it differs to ALL of the ones i have seen online, the platen I believe it is called is absolutely huge in comparison to a standard typrewriter and it all has additional keys at the very forefront of the typewriter which read number from 1 to 10 million as well as and additional cover at the rear of the typewriter.
Is it possible that it was used for accountancy? This would make sense as my grandfather was an accountant but as I say i would of thought there would be more info online.

Any light that anyone can shed on this would be much appreciated.

James

13-9-2017 15:10:20  #2

Re: Imperial Model 50 With Additional Features- Garage Find

I would say your theory that this was used in accountancy is right on -- the size of the platen (for ledger sheets) and the keys at the front (for decimal places) are typical of such typewriters. And you said your grandfather was an accountant  would be the clincher. I cannot help you with information about this model, but maybe others here can -- there are a number who are in the UK.

It looks to be dusty but not in bad shape!

13-9-2017 16:30:02  #3

A wide-carriage ("huge platen" infers something else) Imperial 50 is not a rarity, but those with a decimal tabulator system are definitely not seen as often. The decimal tabulator aided in entry of figures in columns, but could be used for any alphanumeric data.

​I have a 1933 wide-carriage 50 (D serial number), but it does not have the decimal tabulator (below). Your Imperial would have been made in 1934 if it only has the one letter prefix.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-9-2017 04:14:54  #4

Thank you both for your replies.
I did wonder why I was unable to find another one similar but that explains it.
I now know the correct terminology for my typewriter too.

Do you have any tips for cleaning it up? I would like it to be on display in my home but also have the ability to function somewhat ie. if you press a key it will work as opposed to what currently happens when one key is pressed 4 go together and do not return. Would it be a case of a general clean up and some form up general lubricant spray?
Again any tips are appreciated i just don’t want to ruin it

14-9-2017 09:21:56  #5

There have been a lot of comments here about what the most effective material is to clean typewriter mechanisms -- and what's available depends largely on where you are. Just know that there seem to be different kinds of "mineral spirits" and not all are appropriate or effective. I can tell you that in my experience, lighter fluid (i.e. what's used to refill cigarette lighters) works well. I think naphtha is the active ingredient. Others swear by other products, so search around here some to see what the other recommendations are.

I've found that a liberal application of lighter fluid, brushed into the segment, helps quite a bit to enable a dirty/gummed up machine to type again. (The segment is the fan-shaped slotted piece below the ribbon -- the typebars, which are the rods that swing up and strike the ribbon and do the actual typing when you hit a key, fit into those slots and so if the slots get dirty, the typebars can stick.)  Don't use oil or another lubricant except in cases where cleaning simply isn't enough, and then use it only sparingly, since it can itself gum up over time. There is a product here in the US called WD-40 that is used as a kind of all-purpose lubricant -- if it's available where you are (the UK?), stay away from it. It will gum things up eventually. It's not for elaborate mechanisms like a typewriter.

As for cleaning the exterior of the machine, there is also a lot of good advice elsewhere on this site. Start by dusting it off and then use a mild all-purpose cleaner (don't use too much; you don't want it dripping into the machine). Tread very carefully around the decals, since they may be fragile.

Board footera