You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-9-2017 14:53:57  #1

Newbie needs help making sense of Remington serial number please!

Hi all. I'm new to typewriters, new to the forum and new to refurbishing/renovating anything. 
On Sunday I bought a old Remington on ebay as it seemed a very good price (got it for £26) for a machine which looked to be in good condition and working order, probably just needing a clean. The plan was to sell it on, but I'm already in love with it and looking forward to actually using it. Ribbon is on order....
The serial number is RM11548. Rushing to the typewriter database, I found that the 2 letter designations started in 1914, and that the second letter refers to the month of production (Feb). So far so good. I'm assuming this makes it a Remington 10 model. But the site says the first number of the 2 letter designation serial numbers began at 40,000 (4 = 1914, 5 = 1915 etc.) but mine starts with 11... Totally confused. Can someone tell me what my machine is, and year of manufacture please??
I'm looking forward to tackling it with cotton buds and alcohol (on the buds...) tomorrow and it would be great to know what I'm working on. There are some pictures of it on my blog here. Many thanks, Iain

19-9-2017 15:37:26  #2

Re: Newbie needs help making sense of Remington serial number please!

You'll want some back feet on it quick before it chews up your desk. Also be aware that if it sits too low some of the links might hit the desk before they do their job, thus preventing some function(s). Glad you're having Fun!

19-9-2017 15:45:11  #3

Thanks for the advice. I suspect I may have already done damage to my (cheap) desktop; turning the machine round on the desk earlier I heard a nasty scraping sound... When carrying it for the first time I had no idea that I was gripping the links. Live and learn.  

19-9-2017 16:04:24  #4

Should be a 1914 model Iain. That section of the database is a little confusing, but I believe that Remington started with regular numbers before adopting the 4-series later that year (and 5-series for 1915, and so on). I have a Remington 10 with the serial number RA00711 and have recorded its manufacture year as 1914.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-9-2017 16:09:47  #5

Ah that's great Uwe, thank you. I'm really pleased it's as early as that. I'll post here my progress with it, or lack of.
Iain 

Board footera