You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-9-2017 09:52:40  #1

Remington Noiseless Model 10 carriage removal

Hello all,
I bought a 1935 Remington Noiseless 10 it arrived damaged. It works for the most part, but the carriage is very finicky. Without a piece of paper in it, it will type fine, but with a piece of paper in it, it needs help to move.
I want to remove the carriage to see if I can find anything wrong, and I was wondering if anyone had ever removed a carriage from a Noiseless and could give me a few pointers on how to go about it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. OliverNo.9 

26-9-2017 21:37:29  #2

Re: Remington Noiseless Model 10 carriage removal

Have you downloaded the Ames manual yet? The noiseless typewriters are in volume 3. The download link can be found on several places on the net, I am pretty sure the typewriter database site has a link available somewhere.
   I took the carriage (and the subunit called the shift assembly) off of my Underwood noiseless standard a couple of years ago. But Remington and Underwood were different companies, even though Underwood licensed the noiseless design from Remington. They (Underwood) often still used their own design for parts that weren't specific to the noiseless action, so my experience may not help you. I also have a broken Remington model 10 noiseless standard in the back room that I haven't started work on (escapement problem).

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

28-9-2017 22:30:05  #3

Re: Remington Noiseless Model 10 carriage removal

treefaller wrote:

Have you downloaded the Ames manual yet? The noiseless typewriters are in volume 3. The download link can be found on several places on the net, I am pretty sure the typewriter database site has a link available somewhere.
I took the carriage (and the subunit called the shift assembly) off of my Underwood noiseless standard a couple of years ago. But Remington and Underwood were different companies, even though Underwood licensed the noiseless design from Remington. They (Underwood) often still used their own design for parts that weren't specific to the noiseless action, so my experience may not help you. I also have a broken Remington model 10 noiseless standard in the back room that I haven't started work on (escapement problem).

treefaller, thank you for the tip. I have found that the issue lies with the scale and paper tray under the platen. They are hitting one another, and with the platen out it works.
I will have to try to get that scale out and see if it solves anything.
Thanks again.
OliverNo.9

Board footera