You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-2-2016 20:44:32  #11

Re: How to take off the carriage of a Royal Model 10?

K, heres a photo.
The screw you have to remove is in the lower left corner, hidden a little by the rail.
And this is the pesky arm....
And the carriage off...
And everything cleaned up and back together... Now its completely refurbished (Except for one small key repair)(Oh, and dont mind the background)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

22-2-2016 20:45:25  #12

Oops, in the first photo, the screw is in the center, partially blocked by the black rail.

Back from a long break.

22-2-2016 21:34:50  #13

How easy is it to replace the arm and screw back in? I'm sorry for so many questions, it's just that I'm trying to reduce the grey hairs on my head if you know what I mean... 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

22-2-2016 23:16:45  #14

I am not sure how similar they are, but when I did the carriage on my Royal KMM, the trickiest part was lining up the bearings/pinions when putting it back together. They have to be placed in just the right positions on the rails or the carriage will bind or grind.

22-2-2016 23:17:58  #15

That should say "on the rail" (singular.)

23-2-2016 08:07:18  #16

Not on the 10. They, I believe, were right in front of two screws in the segment before I took off the carriage when it was centered, so i just put them there while I put it back on.

@ztyper I did not remove the arm, just loosen the screw a bit so the arm could move back and forth more easily.

Back from a long break.

23-2-2016 21:53:18  #17

I think I'll refrain from taking off the carriage off my favorite typewriter for now... Seems very complicated for such a simple task.

Though once I get my hands on another Royal 10, it better hope I can get that carriage back on! 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

24-2-2016 19:16:01  #18

One thing that wasn't touched on in the re-installation of the carriage:  placement of the 2 ball-bearings and their ring gears.  How I would start is to place them on the newly cleaned main track about 4" apart--putting the 4" space in the middle with the bearings on either side.  Place the carriage on (you'll have to weave it past the backspacer tab on the top to get it down onto the bearings. and be sure you place the carriage directly in the middle).  Carefully slide the carriage both left and right to see if either bearing goes close to the side.  If it does, you can install your hold down clips (the ones with the two bolts that install on the back of the carriage main track).  If not, increase or decrease the space between the bearings.  This will be trial and error here.  Eventually, you'll have it adjusted correctly.  But always be sure that the carriage contacts those bearings AT ALL TIMES.  Otherwise, they will roll out of adjustment.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

30-9-2017 17:00:20  #19

TypewriterGuy wrote:

The screw you have to remove is in the lower left corner, hidden a little by the rail.

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to thank TypewriterGuy and mre12ax7.  I needed to take the carriage off my Royal 10 today and your instructions and guidance made it a straightforward task.  

Board footera