You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-10-2017 17:50:05  #1

Smith Corona Zephyr paper feed

I just obtained a Corona Zephyr Deluxe, green, metal, and everything. It seems to be in fine working condition, but I can't feed my standard copy paper through. It fits through and I can sometimes push it enough to be able to grab it on the other side, but even when I do that I can't advance the paper using the carriage return lever. The only thing I can think about is the paper I'm using, just regular white copy paper, is somehow too thick. Is my intuition correct? Do I need to buy onion skin paper or what? What other troubleshooting steps can I take to make sure the rollers and gears are working? As I said, everything seems to be working, but I'm new to the typewriter game, so thanks for your help.

01-10-2017 19:27:06  #2

Re: Smith Corona Zephyr paper feed

It is not the paper. It should be able to feed normal paper. First, make sure the paper release lever is not engaged. That may be obvious but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

If that is not it, and there is a feed issue where the platen turns with the knobs, the line spacer works, but the paper does not feed, some possibilities are: an aged platen/feed rollers that have lost their grip, worn or misshapen feed rollers, or something wrong with the paper feed or release.

01-10-2017 21:09:14  #3

Re: Smith Corona Zephyr paper feed

Hi Zax

​Just set my 1938 Zephyr S/N 1Y-4900 up on the desk so we're both on the same page, mine has the same issue. By their build date, these machines are going to be 76 to 79 years old, so the platen rubber and feed rollers will have hardened up and probably glazed over. I still have yet to give my little Zephyr a full cleaning and service which includes a couple of applications of rubber rejuvenator to the platen and feed rollers.

​What I'd suggest for the time being though, is to use a sheet of craft or construction paper for a backing sheet. The rough texture of the craft paper may help the platen feed the paper through. Another trick I've learned is to start the paper in at an angle, then straighten it up once there's enough to get a hold of to pull it straight. Of course you'll need to disengage the feed rollers to straighten the paper. There should be a small round metal knob just above and behind the right platen knob. Move this knob backwards to disengage the feed rolls and forward to engage. Hope this points you in the right direction. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera