You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-5-2015 14:39:06  #1

royal futura 800 skipping spaces on some letters

Hope someone can help. I have never seen anything like this at all. I got this off ebay in good shape and everything works but the bell but that can wait. 

I gave it a test and found something odd. On some leters it skips a space. So things look like this.
T his is t h e t ime.

or if I just type a row of one letter it would looks like this

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
t t t t t t t t t t ttt tt t t t t t

What would cause something like this. I do know it was serviced in 1994 there is a ticket in the case. 

15-5-2015 14:59:47  #2

Re: royal futura 800 skipping spaces on some letters

Others are perhaps more experienced than I, but it sounds to me like the escapement mechanism is the issue, most likely caused by hardened grease and residue. I've had good experience with squirting a bit of naptha (Zippo lighter fluid) into the shaft of the escapement, followed by some light machine oil, then working the machine enough to loosen up the hardened grease and let the fresh oil penetrate.

The escapement is what permits the carriage to move one "space" between letters. But if the escapement gear itself doesn't freely turn on its shaft, it can turn slow enough such that by the time the next tooth engages, the carriage has already moved one space too far, hence the skipped spaces.

It is for problems like this that it's recommended to degrease, clean and relubricate the entire mechanism. I'm personally not setup, or experienced enough, to do a complete tear-down and clean, but I do address spot issues on specific areas of my machines.

Many repair shops would dip the entire chassis in a chemical bath, followed by hot oil,  to restore such machines. 

~Joe

Last edited by JoeV (15-5-2015 15:03:52)

15-5-2015 22:22:55  #3

I am not at a stand still with this thing. Worth trying to fix or not. I just want a working typewriter to use daily. But at this rate I am about to screa..

I pulled unit out of casr and found a part and the broke screw under the platen.  No ideal what this thing does it has a #12 on it.

16-5-2015 09:54:10  #4

The part with your finger on it looks like something to do with the escapment (But not sure), or could be something with margin release or the margins. The wheel thing I cant really make out, but looks to be something under the carriage, one of the wheels.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

16-5-2015 11:07:44  #5

The metal siver thing is a brok screw of some sort. Looking it would hold on the metal part and goes under the carriage. The metal part goes under the unit by a odd looking gear and also has a spring that hooks to it. I am thinking at this point there is no way to get it back in place myself. And no shops near me at all. 

16-5-2015 11:18:32  #6

TypewriterGuy wrote:

The wheel thing I cant really make out, but looks to be something under the carriage, one of the wheels.

The "wheel thing" is the head of a broken screw, as troymck pointed out in his post.

@troymck: I would follow Joe's advice and try to clean the escapement as it does sound like it's sticking and causing the carriage to randomly skip forward an extra space. It's a fairly common issue with machines that need service. As for the part you found, which I don't immediately recognize, at least you know that you should be looking for a threaded section of screw with its head missing while you're poking around the machine's innards with a cotton swab trying to clean the escapement. Something else: if the part is of any significance, the fact that it's no longer in the machine would directly affect an aspect of its operation, so if you thoroughly test every feature and function of the typewriter it might quickly become apparent what area it came from.

EDIT: Looks like I was typing out my reply at the same time you were posting yours. Can you add a photo of where you think the part came from? At this point it would seem that you only need a new screw, which shouldn't be too difficult to source...

Last edited by Uwe (16-5-2015 11:20:24)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-5-2015 11:50:01  #7

Ok the phots are not the best but might help some. I have put the platen back on but the screw goes under it by a gear. I took a side photos of it not a good. Metal part with 12 goes under unit and you can see the spring hanging down. Looks like it hits a star shaped gear

16-5-2015 11:51:02  #8

11-10-2017 09:09:19  #9

​Hello, I just acquired a Royal Futura 800 typewriter.  I've cleaned it and I'm having a problem with space skips between letters and words.   I don't have a picture because I couldn't figure out how to attached a picture here.  I read some other posts and some folks said it could be an escapement problem.  But, I don't know where that is on my machine.  Can anyone help me?  Thank you!

Board footera