You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-10-2017 09:53:51  #1

Considering JJ Short to Renew my SM3 and SM4 platens, any advice?

I have two Olympia's (an SM3 with cursive typeface and an SM4 with a more typical typeface.  Both of them have rock hard platens. The SM3 still prints nicely, but is VERY loud, and the SM4 prints unevenly due to the wear on the platen.   I was considering sending the platens to JJ Short but am a bit apprehensive that they may come back in worse shape than if I had just left the originals in.  Any guidance/advice?  Has anyone had any experience working with JJ Short?

12-10-2017 11:28:55  #2

Re: Considering JJ Short to Renew my SM3 and SM4 platens, any advice?

They will come back better then before. They will be putting new rubber on the platen rollers. It will help with sharper impressions and it will quiet it down. I have had this done on a LC Smith and I highly recommend it.

My blog - Just Typewriters

12-10-2017 12:04:22  #3

I have had them recover over 20 platens, and will continue to send them more. JJ Short does wonderful work.

12-10-2017 20:01:39  #4

JJ Short did a fine job on the platen and feed rollers of an Underwood Standard 3-Bank for me. Recommended.

13-10-2017 09:08:31  #5

Thanks for posting the question, and for the responses. I am interested in the same- and very happy to hear that people have been pleased with JJ Short. Are their prices reasonable? 

13-10-2017 12:14:28  #6

Greetings All

​When I contacted JJ Short a couple of years ago, they quoted $5.50 to $7.00 per linear inch of platen depending on the platen diameter, core material and rubber thickness. I was also told that if 2 or more platens of the same core and finished diameters are sent in at the same time, the cost per linear inch will be a little less as set-up time can be shared between the platens. As I say, this price quote was from a couple of years ago and prices may have changed since then. Hope this gives you some sort of idea, however your best bet would be to e-mail them through their 'Contact Us' link on their website. All the best,

​Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

13-10-2017 22:57:40  #7

Thanks for the insights!  Based on the recommendations from this forum I called JJ Short this morning and spoke with Peter.  He was helpful, knowledgeable and answered all of my questions.  I will be sending them 2 platens from Smith Corona Silent Supers and 2 from Olympia SM3 and 4 machines.  Peter said that they are very familiar with those particular platens and quoted me $68.75 per platen since I am sending in 4 of them at a time.  He said it was aroud $70 for 1 platen so there is a bit of a discount for sending in multiples.  Turn around is 1-2 weeks from their receipt of the platens.  I'll let you know how it turns out but so far, I am impressed and pleased with their service.

Board footera