You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-10-2017 05:23:48  #1

1930's Royal Portable Typewriter

Hey everyone.
I recently found an old typewriter whilst clearing out my loft.
I am just looking for any information about it.
The model number suggests it is 1930's and I would like to know the value of such a model.
I believe the full name and model number is: Royal P 190625
Any information you can give me will be helpful.
Thanks in advance
Respectfully
Liam

Last edited by Uwe (13-10-2017 12:20:54)

13-10-2017 06:26:44  #2

Re: 1930's Royal Portable Typewriter

I don't know whether you saw this: http://typewriterdatabase.com/Royal.P.72.bmys

Indeed, a Royal model P, and made in 1930 based on the serial number. There are a lot of these still out there -- well made machines but not especially valuable -- $50 US give or take. Condition is important, both cosmetic and working condition, and whether it has a case or not. I suggest you try using it! Get a new ribbon (it takes a standard ribbon and spool). Here is a link to the manual: http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/Royalportables1930.pdf

13-10-2017 06:39:56  #3

Thank you very much for your reply.
I will take a look at the link and check to see if it is in a working condition. It is still in the case and has some wear and tear damage.
Thanks again.
What are the more rare Royal models to look out for  ?

13-10-2017 09:29:36  #4

That's hard to say -- it's not as if Royals were made in small quantities. The model P such as you have came in a variety of colors, which were and are pretty handsome. In the 1950s Royal tried to jazz up sales by producing the Quiet De Luxe (and maybe other models; I'm not sure) in a variety of bright colors, and those seem to be sought after for their looks. But again, I don't think these are rare in absolute terms. (Oh, if you happen to find a gold-plated Quiet De Luxe, those are definitely pretty rare. Ian Fleming had one.)

One thing to check on your P -- see what condition the platen is in, and also the feed roller. I mention this because I recently got one of these myself and both need work -- the feed roller has a flat spot, which hinders smooth feeding of the paper.  

13-10-2017 10:03:04  #5

Oh right so there are a lot of Royals out their like mine.
I will definetely keep my eye out for that Quiet De Luxe model. This is the first typewriter I have ever really spent time looking at to be honest. The feed roller seems to be in good condition, the ribbon not so much.
Definetly learning some new things here, so thank you for your replies Fleetwing, it is appreciated .

16-10-2017 15:36:27  #6

Not sure where you are located, but if you're in the USA and there is a Staples near you, they do carry standard ribbons and spools (Porelon brand, #11579; the box is labeled as being a refill for a printer, but it will fit perfectly). Note that it's not red and black, just black.

16-10-2017 15:52:13  #7

I am in the UK, but I am not in a rush so I will probably have a look online and order what I need. I think there might be a staples near where I work in London anyway so I can have a look.
Thanks again fleetwing  .

16-10-2017 17:14:15  #8

Ribbon in the UK? In the UK, try Kleen Strike, Brian Rothwell, or Office Buddy.HTH

Board footera