You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-10-2017 10:17:54  #41

Re: The Death of a Typewriter

It was actually key-chopped first and then painted pink. Idiot(s)!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-10-2017 14:07:04  #42

That listing has already been removed. 
I wonder if somebody contacted them...?
Or maybe there was simply too much of a clamor of everyone wanting to spend $100 to get their hands on a key-chopped, pink-painted disaster.

26-10-2017 06:56:53  #43

Fortunately the "author" has removed it, so nobody else has to see it again. The bad part, though, is that the typewriter is beyond rescue.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

01-11-2017 11:31:09  #44

Okay. This...
I dunno. 
This listing is probably as close to the title of this topic thread that you'll find...
https://youngstown.craigslist.org/sys/d/computer-art/6366260090.html 
I have no words. 

01-11-2017 12:05:40  #45

I can't even --- . Looks like the deceased was an Underwood portable, Universal, Champion, or similar.

01-11-2017 14:51:27  #46

Why?

My blog - Just Typewriters

01-11-2017 15:55:35  #47

It's "art." I guess automobile fans have the same reaction to seeing cars trashed for the same ends. The difference is, they're still making cars....

13-11-2017 17:22:44  #48

This is related, but it's not a typewriter and happily, not a death (but close). Saturday I was in an antique mall that I check out periodically -- sometimes typewriters are for sale. I stuck my head in one boutique/room that ordinarily I'd avoid like the plague, full of wicker, picture frames, dried arrangements and other boudoir-y stuff, all seemingly painted white or rose. Then in the corner I spotted a stack of small cases -- yes, typewriter cases, and all from no later than the mid-'50s -- all pretty square in shape, and fabric over wood. There were maybe six or eight of them, sadly all painted with white or pink latex paint, including the handles. I can just see her (I'm sure it's a her) humming away as she took roller and paint to these. Crafts, don't you know.

I need to go back and evaluate just what there is there, but from the design of them I spotted a late '30s-later '40s Royal case, and at least one Underwood. It's hard to know what they are without being familiar with the lock-down hardware the different manufacturers used, and of course the cases changed as the typewriters themselves changed. Would that there were a page somewhere showing the differing cases and how their hardware differed.

I think there is stuff available that'll take the paint off without too much trouble, but first things first. Right now I actually don't need one of these, but I have my eye on a 5-series Silent-Super that doesn't have a case. 

I wish I could buy them all, out of principle if nothing else.

13-11-2017 17:38:46  #49

Markmotown wrote:

Okay. This...
I dunno. 
This listing is probably as close to the title of this topic thread that you'll find...
https://youngstown.craigslist.org/sys/d/computer-art/6366260090.html 
I have no words. 

At the risk of coming across as the forum heretic, I rather like that! I am, however, assuming the typewriter was pretty much trashed before being, um, 'repurposed'.

Following on from observations regarding cases daubed in paint, there is a trend in the UK to have a typewriter present at one's wedding reception for the guests to type a little missive to the happy couple. You should see what the bast@rds do to those poor (and prior to being 'improved', generally good condition) machines...

13-11-2017 18:44:01  #50

MancFrank wrote:

... there is a trend in the UK to have a typewriter present at one's wedding reception for the guests to type a little missive to the happy couple.

​It's probably a global monkey-see-monkey-do thing to do.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera