You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-10-2017 10:02:43  #1

Adler Tippa S Spring repair

Hello everyone! I'm trying to resurrect old Adler Tippa S which came to me almost entirely dysfunctional. I bravely jumped to restore it without sufficient knowledge of typewriters, and so far with luck and many, many funny mistakes I'm doing pretty fine, coping with all the frustration, I'll make a full story and post it here but right now I'm in a bit of a pickle...

I can not disassemble spring motor. It turns but I can hear and feel how spring jumps after a single turn.

I'm trying to unscrew both screws but noooooooo they wont budge. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a special way how to do it? Please help cause I'm really determined to succeed... here are the photos of the motor itself in all its rusty glory. Photos are old cause meantime I actually managed to remove the rust. 

Top view
https://imgur.com/fbJ72Iz
Bottom view
https://imgur.com/1SnyPEp
Thank you!

20-10-2017 01:41:28  #2

Re: Adler Tippa S Spring repair

Hi Tilda

​Looking at your first picture, I'd be inclined to say the main spring drum is held in place by an E-clip, that circular clip with a couple of slots in it. Take a small screwdriver, insert it into one of the slots and twist gently. The E-clip should come off sideways and release the drum. One thing to be aware of, these clips are often referred to as dammit clips as they have a tendency to fly off across the room making you say "dammit!" so hold your finger against the clip as it comes off the shaft to prevent it from springing off and ricocheting off in some unknown direction.

Once the spring drum is off, it may be a good idea to take it to a clock repair shop to have the drum opened up and the spring either reset or replaced. These drums are basically riveted together and probably require special tools to rivet them back together. Let us know how you make out with this project. All the best,

Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

21-10-2017 09:53:07  #3

Skywatcher thank you so much!
I opened it with by removing "dammit clip" but drum still stayed firmly in its place held by underneath screw that can't move. So I opened it by removing top cover of the drum and I finally exposed the spring. It broke just at the beginning so I will have to make a new hole and reattach it and maybe even soldier it so it doesn't move from the latch that looks suspiciously small.

Like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7qBlss3Hw&t=626s

I'll take pictures of everything and post it later after I'm finished so people who have to make repairs like this and don't have repairman close have at least some hope of doing it.
Thanks!

21-10-2017 11:53:15  #4

Hi Again

​By trade, I'm a heavy duty or diesel mechanic, but decided to go independent in small engine repair back in 2000. Rewinding these carriage return springs is exactly the same as repairing recoil starter springs on chain saws and other hand held machines, just on a smaller scale. Drilling a new hole in the spring steel may be a bit of a challenge as the steel has been hardened and tempered to give it its springiness. If the steel won't drill, you may want to anneal the end before drilling. Heat the tip of the spring where you plan to drill to red heat with a butane micro torch and let it air cool.

Once you have the spring repaired and reinstalled, make sure the spring doesn't get over wound. When I'm repairing recoil starters, I always make sure the pull cord dead heads before the spring. This means you need to have a minimum ½ turn left on the spring once the cord is all the way out. However, this should never be an issue on a portable typewriter as the spring should only be tight enough to give about 2 lb. or 900 grams tension on the draw cord at mid carriage travel (I believe). Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera