You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-9-2017 00:13:36  #641

Re: New Member Thread

daughterlaughter wrote:

You may bombard me with dog pictures, however, as I can keep those without any negative consequences.

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

​Although I haven't posted on this thread for a long time, when I saw this pun, I simply couldn't resist. Good to have all the new members on board and look forward to hearing from you. All the very best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

03-10-2017 14:05:39  #642

I used my dad's Hermes Rocket in the early years, got published a few times with typed manuscripts, and then.....   time passed. I kept the machine, but......     you know.     
Now, I just don't like the way writing on a computer feels, or more to the point, doesn't feel.  I just don't feel it. 
Then California Computer hit the screen and I inked up the ribbon and played the Rocket every day since.  Even rescued a Facit and a Remington Noiseless 8 (needs more of an exorcism than a repair).  

Throw up into your typewriter every morning. Clean up every noon - Raymond Chandler

03-10-2017 14:06:45  #643

Oops, I meant California Typewriter, not the C-word.  
Sorry.

Throw up into your typewriter every morning. Clean up every noon - Raymond Chandler

17-10-2017 16:54:20  #644

daughterlaughter wrote:

Hello, everyone! I'm new. So here's a little introduction:

I was born in the middle of-- Just kidding.

My name is Katie, and I recently moved back to Seattle after a 9-year jaunt in Chicago whilst getting a degree I'm somehow unable to utilize. I'm sarcastic, creative, and always willing to have an adventure--or a nap. I love art and words and lots of coffee. I have a husband of six years and we had a dog, but I had to put her down on September 1st. This is a year full of strangeness and change-ness. The loss of my dog is an entirely terrible experience, and since we can't get another dog right away, I'm trying to heal my soul by filling it with things.

One of those things is a typewriter. I'll introduce it in the "new acquisitions" board, for the sake of organization.

One of those things was also an original (and absolutely useless) Polaroid camera, but I won't share that here. This information is just to further remind everyone that I'm currently in "hoarder" mode and am frequently sad, so don't tempt me with more typewriters or Girl Scout Cookies or even a good deal on pencils because I will say YES. You may bombard me with dog pictures, however, as I can keep those without any negative consequences. 

Nice to meet ya'll. 

Sorry to hear that about your dog. We just went through all of that with much drama at the end of March. Our dog Oreo (a black and white Chihuahua) had congestive heart failure, and he did not react to the medicine positively. His last 5 days were in the animal hospital stuck in an oxygen chamber. I felt so awful.

19-10-2017 06:40:05  #645

My first post should be an introduction so here it is.

I took a typing class in high school and was fairly fast for a guy using a manual typewriter.  That was 46 years ago.  I went into IT and could type better than most but I've never liked the feel of the flimsy, cheap, plastic keyboards.

I want a typewriter.  Only one typewriter.  I want a good usable typewriter.

I'm not sure which to buy.  Currently there are 3 I am looking at; Olympia SM3, Olympia Deluxe, and a Smith-Corona Classic 12.  I know Olympia made good typewriters and I know Smith-Corona made lots of typewriters but I don't know which to get so I'm here to learn a bit.

(I saw mention of a Polaroid camera.  I should have a pristine SX-70 in a couple of weeks.  They're making film for them again.  I like film cameras and just began using a Nikon N2020 (F-501).)

All things being equal, does any one of those typewriters stand out as the best choice?

Thanks,
Dan

19-10-2017 09:30:03  #646

Welcome to the forum, Dan. 

​Best to ask your question in the 'Portable Typewriters' sub-forum so as not to throw this thread off topic (short answer: SM3).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-10-2017 09:34:42  #647

Welcome! I'm not sure what the Olympia Deluxe is -- they put "Deluxe" in the segment ("basket") of a number of their typewriters to designate a higher level model. So maybe go to the Typewriter Data Base and look at pictures of the various Olympia models to see which one it is you're looking at.

My take would be to go with one of the Olympias. The Classic 12 is a good, honest typewriter, but in terms of build quality and features, it's a definite step below the Olympias. As for the SM3, it's a fine machine and a joy to use. The one thing to note is that it's a carriage shift model, while the Classic 12 is basket/segment shift. My bet is that the machines you used in typing class were basket shift, which generally speaking require a little less effort to shift into upper case. If you have a chance to try them out side by side, definitely do so.

Olympia did make basket shift typewriters starting in the early 1960s. I think the one to look for is the SM9.

A question -- all three you're looking at are portable machines (I assume the "Deluxe" is one also). If you want just one machine, a standard size machine is frankly going to do a better job. More features, better typing action, more durable. (And lots bigger and heavier.) In that case I'd highly recommend an Olympia SG1 or SG3. Lots of fans of these machines around here.

But if you want the versatility of a machine you can take with you, then by all means stick with a portable.

Hope this helps! Just be aware you may get bombarded with suggestions from other folks -- you've opened the Pandora's Box.

19-10-2017 10:24:36  #648

At Uwe's suggestion I began a thread on the Portable Typewriters sub-forum.

Thanks.

19-10-2017 11:28:51  #649

DanS wrote:

(I saw mention of a Polaroid camera.  I should have a pristine SX-70 in a couple of weeks.  They're making film for them again.  I like film cameras and just began using a Nikon N2020 (F-501).)

Dan

Good to know. I have an SX-70 collecting dust. My new jam is a 50's Rolleiflex. Such a joy looking through that.

19-10-2017 12:05:49  #650

So gnuyork, are you running a Linux machine?  With 'gnu' in your name it's probably a given that you are.

Board footera