You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-10-2017 16:32:11  #1

type not aligned when engaging shift lock on Olympia SM3

Hello, I have a newly acquired SM3 DeLuxe and somebody kindly pointed me to replacing the flat washers to fix the carriage bumping into the outer frame. Worked quite well, was easy and inexpensive to fix.

Now all that is left is a good cleaning, possibly having the platen rubber replaced, and one other issue. Type alignment looks good between caps and lower case, but when I engage the caps lock, the type sits slightly above where the others sit.

Does anybody know why? And is there a simple adjustment?

Thanks.

18-10-2017 20:35:15  #2

Re: type not aligned when engaging shift lock on Olympia SM3

Hi Gnu

​As this is a carriage shift machine, if the carriage isn't held against the up-stop, the uppercase letters will be high on the paper. Just looking at my SM4, I'd be inclined to say there is an adjustment. Turn the typewriter on its back with the underside towards you. Now look at the front left corner of the machine where the rubber suspension is located (the piece you replaced with flat washers) and press the carriage lock key.

You should see the hook of the lock mechanism hooking onto a small vertical plate. This plate is attached to the frame with 2 screws. I would think that if these screws are loosened, the plate could be adjusted down so the carriage is held against the top-stop when the shift lock is engaged. Just make sure the flat washers you've used aren't interfering with the shift lock. Hopefully other members will correct me if I'm wrong or add a little more information if I'm right.

All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

19-10-2017 11:32:50  #3

Re: type not aligned when engaging shift lock on Olympia SM3

Thank you. Will check this out later.

Board footera