You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-10-2017 10:32:22  #11

Re: Need a recommendation for my first typewriter.

Thanks!  I thought there might have been a base model and a De Luxe model.

There's a Staples about 45 minutes from me.  I'll check with them.  Is it typical to use a 3 part ribbon, i.e., black/stencil/red, or just an all black?  Do you think it will come on the correct spools or will I need to wind it on the existing spools?  I'll check it out.

I just might be able to fabricate a temporary solution while waiting for a replacement part.

20-10-2017 12:13:18  #12

Re: Need a recommendation for my first typewriter.

Generic spools should work on your machine, but always keep the ones that came with it!

Typewriter ribbon (at least the vast majority of it - there were a couple of oddball exceptions) is either one- or two-part (one or two colours). When a ribbon colour selector is switched to stencil, the ribbon is not used and the ribbon vibrator does not lift with the keystroke. Whether you use a one or two colour ribbon is a personal preference. Most of my machines are loaded with a single colour ribbon because I have almost no use for a second colour, AND I like to be able to flip the spools upside down and use the other half of the ribbon when the first half is worn out.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera